

We enjoyed a really nice Christmas Eve with Inka and Elisabeth (from Germany), the Wickers (from Canada) and the Hoffstetters (from Switzerland). There were only 13 of us, but our small living room was full- of people, warmth, laughter, and love.
Inka and I found real (large!) hams at the store and were so excited. We each prepared one. She picked out one that was covered in garlic and Elisabeth wrapped it in dough (a tradition in Germany). She even braided the dough, and it looked so pretty! I glazed ours with a pinapple sauce. I was thankful that Leif was willing to carve it!
I didn't really get a good table shot with everyone, but this is the idea (minus a few people and towards the end of the meal).
After dinner, we watched a video that Matthew and Heather Ann had put together to a great song by Reliant K (sp?). I didn't know that they had done it when we were watching it- it was so professional. I was SO impressed to find out they'd put it together. It was really powerful and worshipful. Then we sang some carols (and the German speakers sang some beautiful ones). Leif read us all the book "Annika's Secret Wish". It's a great children's book. You've gotta read it. Then we all played a game called "nouns in a bag" that involves describing with words and motions particular words. Our teams were really even, which made it fun. Inka and Elisabeth brought presents for the little girls. Anneka's is book about a princess where her little face is on every page. She likes it.
Each year since we've been married, Leif and I have celebrated advent for the 4 weeks leading up to Christmas with different readings and songs. We love it. This year, we did half of the nights when Anneka was awake and could join us and half when she was already tucked into bed so that we could focus without a busy girl running around. It's so great to reflect on Jesus' coming to earth and to joyfully anticipate His return!
Here's our nativity set. We have a "pregant Mary" that next year we'll begin the tradition of she and Joseph walking to Bethlehem and then we'll bring out Jesus on Christmas morning.
Merry Christmas!
2 comments:
It makes me happy that we have the same nativity set. :o)
Your Christmas celebrations look so wonderful! I love that you are starting family traditions that you can carry on through the years! I love them!
~Cheryl
nouns in a bag..all the way in siberia...erin would be proud!
Post a Comment