Saturday, November 29, 2008

Many Blessings


We enjoyed a nice thanksgiving yesterday with our teammates as we remembered all of the blessings God has given us and celebrated together. There were 10 adults and 9 kids all crammed into the Kerin's apartment (there would've been more, but one family is still in Mongolia.) The kids were really good and loved playing together. Leif and I made apple pies (see picture above) and Leif also made stuffing. We thought we'd only have chicken this year, but Nadia, a Russian neighbor and friend of the Kerins found and brought a turkey. Mmmmm!



Before we ate the feast, the kids performed a skit about the history and meaning behind Thanksgiving. It was really cute. Then Elisabeth and Leif led us in a set of worship songs and we praised God together. Rebecca had asked us all to come prepared with a list of the many things we are thankful for from the past year. We read our lists and were amazed at how much has happened in 12 months and rejoiced at God's goodness.



While it is always hard to be away from our family back home, we are thankful that God has given us a second family in Ulan Ude.



I couldn't resist posting a picture of our bundle baby.



And about the head-shaving, we're still undecided. Leif leans toward "no" and I'm more of a "yes". I thought that Anneka was close to bald anyways, but there definitely is a difference between her head and Kristina's, which was shaven a week before this pic was taken. We'll make our decision in a few days!

7 comments:

The Boggs Family said...

What a great update. I'm so glad you had such a wonderful Thanksgiving with your 2nd family... what an adorable picture of Anneka all bundled up!.. she is just beautiful with a smiling heart that shines through her eyes and expression. She's adorable!! Oh, and about the head-shaving thing; when else in life is it "cute" to be bald? :) Why not go for it?... afterall, if it does make it grow back thicker than ever, she'll have a lifetime to enjoy that! But if you didn't try, then you could forever wonder without the socially-accepted opportunity to shave her head. ;) haha. Happy (belated) Thanksgiving to you three. I love hearing your hearts about Christ & the bond you two share as you pursue Him and share His love with everyone around you. What a blessing you are!!!

The Boggs Family said...

P.S. Besides, winter time is perfect to be bald because our heads are covered in hats most of the day anyway! ;) Though, I will say, as a Mom, it would be hard to do...

Elizabeth said...

Sometimes I read your journal through Rachel (Lacy's) journal.
My husband is Korean and they believe in head shaving too. But his mother didn't shave her children's hair, and we didn't shave our daughter's. And all three have such thick silky black hair. Everyone always comments on how beautiful our daughter's hair is!
If you're curious, a friend of ours just shaved the top and not the sides of the head, and the shaved section actually seemed to grow back a bit thinner?!
But scientifically, I see no advantage to head shaving, and since you're in such a cold climate, maybe Anneka needs all the hair she can get ;)

Gina said...

actually, I changed my mind, Im voting for yes now. Just cause that would be such a great story to tell one day! i love adventurous

Anonymous said...

Your first family so missed you on Thanksgiving! It is a comfort to see you surrounded by such a loving second family (most of whom I have met). Bundle baby is so adorable! The twin picture is so very cute too! At school I asked three Russian students about the head shaving. They all vote DA with a Knyesna.
Love, Baba

This Is The Day said...

Happy Thanksgiving!! I'm glad you guys were able to celebrate with so much "family"! Well, I think I vote "yes" on the head shaving after seeing Kristina. She still looks cute and many babies have that much hair anyway, but it was interesting to hear what Elizabeth had to say so maybe not. :) Haha. I LOVE the picture of Annkea bundled up!!! She is ADORABLE!

DouloScott said...

It's now December...go for it!!!