Tuesday, November 25, 2008

To Shave Or Not To Shave: A Poll Of Our Audience



People in many countries around the world shave their babies' heads so that it'll grow back thick and lustrous. Many Russians shave their baby's heads at the year mark. Anneka's little friend, Kristina, just had her head shaved last week. And now it's gotten us thinking. Does it really work? All logic tells us "no". I mean, at first, it will grow back thicker because the hairs have been cut off and they'll come out thicker blunt-ended than with a natural, peaked tip. But would it really make a difference for the long haul? Kristina's older sisters had their heads shaved when they were babies and they have the prettiest, thickest hair I've ever seen. People in India do this and have you ever seen a thin-headed Indian? Not me.

So here's the question: Do we shave Anneka's head? Adriana (Kristina's mom) said, "who knows if it really works or not, but if I hadn't done it I'd have always wondered." And if we shave it, do we use a buzzer or do we bic it with a razor? Adriana is bringing Kristina over tomorrow to show me what she did with her. What do you think we should do? Please cast your vote!

16 comments:

This Is The Day said...

My first reaction was WHAT??? THAT'S CRAZY...but it would be interesting to find out. :) I feel like Kariya's hair has taken so long to grow out that we would be ruining all that progress...but then again if it grew back thicker, faster, and longer it might be worth it. I suppose you could get away with it since Anneka's head will be under hats for the next several months, but it seems like such a shame to shave off that sweet, fine, baby hair!!

Anonymous said...

I don't know about this.... I think my vote is no. but I have no good reason except that cute little sweet girls should not have prickly heads. Of course, we'll still love you no matter what you choose. It could be interesting. I'd say if you'd had twins--totally try it out b/c you would have a "control" kid. But this is a case of "I wonder if..." no matter which way you go. :)

Anita

Angela said...

It's already so cold there- no hair at all? Poor little Anneka! Of course, with that smile she'll be adorable either way...

Chris said...

Put me down for shave it! It has to be with the bic... although that seems a bit scary! I'm confident I'll be seeing a picture of Anneka soon with her head shaved :-)

Ashley L. said...

So funny! We have also been encouraged to do the head shaving, but we resisted and Joyelle still has nice thick shiny hair. I did notice a difference in how it looked after her first haircut though, after getting rid of the many different lengths. I did some "in depth" internet research on the subject just for fun, and all I could find was stuff to debunk the myth that shaving does anything to change the properties of hair. But then again, sometimes it is just fun to join in and do cultural things just for the sake of identifying with the people that you live near, and hair always grows back.

Anonymous said...

What an interesting idea. I don't think I'd want it shaved, but I'll not be seeing her until either way it will be more. I guess I'd vote no if you were to use a razor--it seems like she might get nicked. Is Anneka old enough to talk or vote on this one. I think hair is one thing kids can help choose for themselves. Take care, I love you.
I'll try to call Shannon tomorrow and see how she's doing. I continue to pray for her and protection for you all. Love ya, GrandMama Irene

Cyndi Mulligan said...

Since you're inside a culture that endorses it and you have a friend you trust who'll show you how it's done, plus all the previous reasons, I'd say go for it. Ultimately, you two together (asking of the Lord if there's any "stop sign" there at all) would be the key. Can't wait to see what you decide.

BlackJack said...

We Are missionaries in Mexico. My wife is MExican. We have three kids and ALL of them have had their head shaved right after birth. My first born Son's Hair wont stop growing. My Second Daughter has Hair down to her waist, And our third...Well, her hair just hasen't started to come in yet. She's a yr. and 4 months. Shave it!

Bryan Fox

DouloScott said...

It is NO SHAVE November!!! Do NOT shave until December...DUH> ;-P

Stephenie said...

Just think of the awesome pictures and the hilarious memories you'd have if you shaved her head! Anneka wouldn't remember but she'd probably think it was funny that you shaved her head to be a part of the culture where you lived when she was born. I wouldn't do it to get thicker hair but I'd do it for the fun of it. Just the fact that you are thinking of doing it....I give you a vote of, go ahead...yes!
No Shave Novemeber is wrong (Matt & Aaron!)

Anonymous said...

I want to know more how you get her to hold still if you shave it rather than how to shave it. I say either choice is fine - but what a fun cultural experience. :) Just if you bic her please don't nick her!

:)Kristen King

Anonymous said...

We vote to shave! Don and Ann Scheleen

Amrita said...

In India people do shave their babies hair for the same reasons.I don 't know if it works.

I would not cast my vote for it as its so cold in Russia. In India we 'd do this in the summer.

LAURA said...

You guys crack us up, maybe the cold temps are getting to your brains:-) I've heard this theory too, and although the crazy girl in me would say "go for it!" the nurse in me knows that shaving doesn't change the hair follicle, so it won't change hair growth, color, thickness etc.
If it were true I'd shave my head!!

Anonymous said...

I say go for it, just because it sounds like a fun experience, and its not like she has a lot to lose there. :o)

Shave, shave, shave!!

~Cheryl

ps. No Shave November is ov-ah!

Amy said...

you have probably already decided about the "shave" but i think that you shouldnt :) our little Rosie just turned two and still has hardly any hair but its so cute and wispy and i love it. i like the way its growing out too :)