Monday, February 01, 2010

Refreshing Week In St. Petersburg

On our way back from Egypt, we decided to take advantage of being on the western side of Russia and visiting our friends, 'Jamin and Ashley, and their family in St. Petersburg. We are SO thankful for this time and it was really good for our hearts to be with them.


We had a night's stay in Moscow between Egypt and St. Pete. Heather and Adam and their three kids graciously let us stay with them. We know them from back when we were here with CCC. It was so fun to meet them as a family (we haven't seen them since they've been married or met their kids) and to hear about how God is working through their ministry of Bible teaching and training of pastors throughout Russia. Their little girl, Anna, is a year younger than Anneka. I was just amazed at the difference in their size. She was such a cutie pie!



Anneka was very tired by the time we got back to the airport the next day. She liked being wheeled around in the cart, and it was nice for us, too, to have this!



'Jamin picked us up at the airport and Ashley had made yummy wraps (and hummus!!) to eat for when we got there. We enjoyed catching up with them that first evening while the kids slept. 'Jamin and Leif lived in Ulan-Ude together for two years way back when. And Ashley is just a really easy person to connect with and fun person to talk to. She's also pregnant, just a month behind me. I seriously feel like in the week and a half since we took this picture, my belly has popped out quite a bit more, but this gives an idea. =)




One evening, Leif and I got together with this family (Kevin, Emily, and Josiah). We met them at a conference for reaching Shamans here in Ulan-Ude last spring. Right now they are learning Russian in St. Pete and will soon be heading even farther north to a remote place to work with a Bible translating organization with one of the people groups near the north pole. Emily is also pregnant. We enjoyed our time with them.



While the guys were at Bible classes, Ashley and I and the kiddos had lots of fun! On this day, Joyelle (4) went to preschool and we took Silas and Anneka to an indoor playground at IKEA. They LOVED it. And I loved sitting and talking with Ashley and drinking a McDonalds chocolate milkshake. Mmmmm. St. Petersburg seriously felt like a different world! I'm encouraged by the ways that Ashley is intentional about teaching her kids about God and about loving her family, teammates and neighbors. I feel like I learned a lot from her just by hanging out with her!



In the evenings, 'Jamin had some intensive studying that he needed to do, so he popped in and out while Leif often played with the kids.



Anneka loved dressing up and dancing with Joyelle.




On the morning of 'Jamin's final, Ashley was so sweet to keep Anneka so that Leif and I could go on a date. We'd both been to St. Petersburg before, but it's still fun to see the beautiful buildings and to experience the city. And I love riding the subway! Here, we're standing in front of a church that was constructed in Roman style. We went inside and a service was going on, and it was SO BEAUTIFUL! A choir sang from an upper loft, and the notes swirled around the entire room, so lovely and worshipful. People were praying and lighting candles. I saw one lady bring a carton of eggs to give as an offering. I thought about the contrast between light and darkness and prayed that the people there would be filled with a true faith in Jesus and that His light would go out to this whole country.

I'm so happy for our time away, and I'm so happy to be back home, too. God is so good in the gifts that He gives!

2 comments:

Ashley L said...

Wow, Jami, thank you so much for your amazingly kind words. Please know that we felt equally as encouraged, refreshed, and drawn closer to God by getting to spend time with you. We loved having you visit and only wish it could happen more often! Thank you again for coming all the way to spend time with us! We love your family!

Anonymous said...

It's such fun to see the great pictures of you folks and your wonderful connections! I thank God that you had this time and that He has surrounded you with such precious friends. It's a real treasure to see more of our family (brothers and sisters).
Love ya always, GrandMama Irene