Friday, February 19, 2010

Sagaalgan



February is known as "white month", and is a major holiday for Buryats. Last weekend was a big new years celebration, and Buddhists commemorated by visiting the datsan and throwing everything bad into a big fire there. The "bad things" from the past year are often symbolized by throwing in shapes of dough or pieces of cloths that have been used by each family member. Although there used to be no religious connotations with Sagaalgan, it now has many spiritual/Buddhist connotations. People pray to their ancestors spirits and to other spirits or gods whose images are hung on the northern and northwestern walls of their houses. People give food to these gods and give gifts to one another. This is very much a month of purging the bad and cleaning up their homes, lives, yards, etc. People even eat lots of white foods. Leif took this picture at the datsan near our home. Our batteries were running out on our camera,and he wasn't able to get a good picture. But here are people coming to throw things into the fire.

This Saturday we'll participate in an outreach and celebration in traditional Buryat style of how Jesus makes us whiter than snow and He is the one who can truly cleanse us. There will be a Buryat speaker there who will explain the gospel message. We are looking forward to this time. February is often a very dark month here.



Anneka loves baby Angelina! She loves to hug her and kiss her and hold her. This Wednesday, I was in the kitchen with Katia and Anneka was in the living room with Angelina and Sasha. After a few minutes she came into the kitchen with Angelina's snowsuit around her ankles and some of her clothes on her head. She so badly wanted to fit into Angelina's clothes! In this picture she's settling for her hat.



Lena still comes to help around our apartment, which is a blessing. This week she watched Anneka a couple of mornings when Leif and I had to go and turn in our exit visas (to prepare for coming to the States in May) and when I had an appointment with the midwife (all looks good!). I'm not sure why, but Anneka is often emotional when Lena first comes. (She is never emotional when Heidi comes!! She practically pushes us out the door!) I think it's maybe a language thing, as Lena doesn't speak any English. But she's always really happy after a little while. They were building a tower together when I got home one of the days. And when I'm home with Lena and Anneka, they really enjoy each other.

1 comment:

This Is The Day said...

That is so interesting that they are trying so hard to get "clean" and it ends up being a dark month. How exciting that you guys are there and able to spread some light!

I love the pics of Anneka! That is so sweet that she likes the baby so much! She is going to be a great big sister!