Friday, May 22, 2009

A Visit To The Eye Doctor



I've had my glasses for almost 4 years and am just plain sick of them. It's funny how your tastes change when you're in a different culture with people who have a totally different style. You start to want to fit in more. I didn't want to wait until the next time we're in the States to get new ones. So I went to the eye doctor here. Inka took me and Anneka came along, too. And it was great! I didn't have to have an appointment. I didn't have to wait in any lines. And I only paid the equivalent of $8 for the exam!! (We have great medical insurance, but it doesn't cover vision, so this is wonderful). The optometrist had a leather chest that held different glass lenses that fit into this funny apparatus (pictured above) that I wore on my face. I had an embarrassing moment reading the chart when I realized that I don't know how to say all the Russian letters. (of course I know all my letters and the sounds they make, but there is no "ABC song" here to learn the names of them). Anyways, I did just fine... the lady knew what I meant. And my eyes have apparently gotten better since my last prescription. Hopefully, anyways. I'll get my new glasses tomorrow(another plus), so we'll see how they work!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Jami! I hope the new glasses work well. I need to get new ones too. I don't know if I can get it done before the visit--it always seems like a long prosess here. See you soon. Love ya, Mama Irene

Renata said...

Hey Jami, I recognize that contraption to get your eyes tested :) I got my last test done in Kras.
Hey, my LOI is in the mail! Still hoping to leave June 15th

Anonymous said...

Let's see some picture of these new glasses! :)
~Cheryl