I was thankful that I was able to meet Leif at the hospital while Lena watched the kids. This is how I found him, on a gurney in the hallway. He lost a lot of blood, so they gave him an I.V. with fluids. What a brave guy! We kept marveling that the laceration was where it was and didn't get any major nerves or veins or tendons. We know that God was protecting him and are so thankful.
We stopped by the church on the way home, for Leif to collect his things and touch base with the guys. These poor guys also witnessed Dima getting himself with the same chainsaw on Monday in his FACE!! That also was a miracle that it didn't get him worse. Part of the cut was even in his eye... a little more and he could have lost his sight... or even his life
Here they were revisiting the site of the accident. Leif had been up on this scaffolding, using the saw to widen the side of the window frame where there were metal wires. Once the saw hit metal it jerked back. Leif said that if he were in North America he wouldn't have tried something like this. But he said that being in Russia so long he got acclimated to seeing people do crazy things with chainsaws. It just becomes normal and you forget how dangerous certain things are!
After they bandaged him up, they put him in this plaster cast. It kind of freaked me out at first because they whisked him away on the gurney after checking his I.V. and yelled at me not to follow. The rational part of my mind told me they were just going to put a cast on him. But the longer I waited, the more I started thinking about blood transfusions, etc! It made me grateful for the informative part of health care in North America! In this picture above, the nurse is cutting off his cast and about to change his bandages. He has to do this every day for 12 days and get shots of antibiotics.
The nurse and doctor at our clinic thought the cast was too cumbersome and cut it off. So now Leif has to be more careful not to move his arm. But I bought him a nice big babushka scarf for a sling, and that seems to hold it pretty well.
I almost didn't post this picture because it shows our messy room. But that's how it is. And Ella was so cute helping Leif put on his socks. It's a little more challenging around here, as Leif isn't able to do as much as he usually can (which is a lot!). I'm actually amazed at what he can do with his left arm, though. And we've had guests this week- both unexpected and planned, so that's been more work in regards to cleaning and meals. But we've also been blessed by these guests, and are thankful for the strength God provides.
We trust that Leif's wound will heal well. Again, we're thanking God for his protection! I don't know what I would do without wonderful Leif!




4 comments:
Gwen and I were impressed by this post. Gwen says, "It was really cute when we saw Ella putting on Uncle Leif's socks." I'm also praying and praising God for his protection. Love you all, Granma Irene and Gwen
Oh my goodness that must have been SO scary! Thankful that everything turned out all right and Leif and the other guy are both ok. Sounds like it could have been much worse!
Wow you guys, oh my goodness!... Praise God for His constant protection over your lives there. It really is so mind blowing to look at the pictures and read what happened, and wrap my mind around how utterly frightening that experience must have been - and yet Leif doesn't look worried in any of those pictures! ;) Brave guy for sure! I'm always humbled reading your posts and hearing your heart; His nearness to you is so evident and you inspire me - and others - with a life devoted and saturated in Christ; beauty surrounds you guys and pours out so naturally..... even through blog posts but all the more in person. ;) Hugs from Oregon & so thankful he's ok!
This post made me a little queazy. I hope he heals up okay. Praying for you guys daily.
Post a Comment