There's a new preschool very near to our home, and they have a great program for kids! Leif and I scoped it out a few weeks ago, thinking of both of our girls for next year, and then Ella and I decided to go and actually try it out. For kids under 3 they have a program that's 1 1/2 hours long for 2 or 3 days a week... with a parent (or grandparent). Ella was excited to go out with Mama and to pose for this picture.
But when I told her that it was a little school, she got really sad and cried the whole walk there. I was torn because we didn't really NEED to go, but I also didn't want her to think that by crying really hard she could get her way. So I pushed through. I told her that she could cry for a couple more minutes, but then I needed to take our picture, and she'd have to be ready to calm down at that time. And she did! =)
They have a really great facility- it's clean and cheerful and fun! In the 1.5 hour block, there are 3 lessons (20 minutes each) with 3 different teachers. In between the lessons, the kids get to play in this fun room. Ella stayed close to me the whole time, but she warmed up and it was evident she really liked it.
I'm excited about this program for a few reasons. One is that it's a great way to meet new people... and a lot of people that are in our similar life stage. It's not a daycare, so most of the parents who come with their kids don't work (which is also easier for connecting with them). In between the lessons, it's easy to talk with the parents while the kids play. It's also a good place for Ella to get more Russian- they go over colors and shapes and animal names... all things age appropriate and good for her to learn. Plus, it's a nice stepping stone for Ella if she goes when she's older. She will feel more comfortable if she can go there with me first. AND it's special time for us to have together! I almost felt like we were going to a little children's museum or something- a special mama/daughter excursion. Ike is also allowed to go with us without extra charge. (That day, he was sleeping so I left him home with Leif.)
observing the other kids
For one of the lessons they had these special tables with backlighting and sand. The kids would pour sand into cookie cutters and make fun animal shapes.
... or they just played in the sand and made fun designs with their fingers. In this picture I used the flash.
In another lesson they had a little story about a sunshine and the kids made their own sunshine.
Both of our girls love to make artwork! On Wednesdays they have music lessons, too. I'm guessing that Ella will also like that very much.
Ta-da! A happy sunshine and a happy girl. We haven't gone back since Leif's accident and need to decide when we'll go back. Leif's mom is coming for a visit soon! That may be a good time to start up going as a part of our weekly routine.
2 comments:
Yes, this school for Ella looks like a good fit...for many reasons. She looks happy! Love you! Baba
Ella looks like she's changing so much! What a little cutie! And what a fun thing for her to get to do! I think it's so important to have special times w/each child and especially the middle child as the baby gets more attention naturally and the oldest gets more opportunities and activities b/c of age. I hope you can keep going!
Post a Comment