Tuesday, September 04, 2012

The First Day Of Kindergarten... Almost!


     I have been nervous about sending Anneka to Russian kindergarten, but we keep praying that God will open or close doors and show us what to do, and He is definitely doing that!  We went in on Monday, and because we weren't able to get Anneka's TB test in time, her first day will be next Monday.  BUT because of all of these medical tests that she's had to do, the speech therapist recommended that she be in a special speech group in the kindergarten to help her in learning Russian.  I inquired about it on Monday, and even though the group is at it's cap, they made an exception for us since Anneka won't be eating meals there.  We got to meet her teachers and classmates and they are all so nice!


     Anneka and I prayed together before going to school and specifically asked God that her teacher would be nice and that she'd make a friend.  And even though we were only there a short while, God answered both prayers immediately!  Vera, a kind lady from our church that went with us, said that she knew the speech therapist from her work in a different kindergarten years ago and that she's excellent and kind.  The normal teacher was also so welcoming and sweet.  Anneka wasn't allowed into the classroom because she didn't have her entire medical card finished, but this little girl came out to play with her while I talked with the teacher about school supplies that we needed to buy.  The were so cute together!  In the background, you can see that each child has a little cupboard to store their belongings.

     Because Anneka is in this special class, she has a lot more needed school supplies than kids in the other classes, but as we were buying them, I felt so happy because I knew that she'd be using things like paints, clay, drawing books, etc.  She loves art projects, and this will be right up her alley.

     The kids in Anneka are all older than her (another exception they made to allow her into the group).  I feel peace about it, as she now LOOKS like the other kids' ages (she's so tall!), and often kids who are a little older are more understanding in playing with someone who doesn't speak Russian as their first language.  Pray that Anneka will be able to catch up, as there will be a lot of homework (this will be good and challenging for me, too!)


    
     We had a lot of fun shopping for school supplies after visiting the school.  I took a few pictures on the walk home.  Anneka loves cats.  And there are plenty of stray ones around!


     This cat ran right up to Anneka.  Of course, she couldn't resist picking the cat up!



     As we were coming up to our building, our neighbor girl was entering, as it was her first full day of 1st grade.  Her mom just had a baby and she plays outside a lot, so we met her over the summer.  She loves it when we come outside, and greets us with a hug.  She was at the clinic the other day when we were there, too.  She and Anneka got yelled at for hopping down the hall together. 

    
     Anneka got a new princess backpack.  She is soooo happy about it.  Ella wanted her picture with a backpack taken, too.  =)



     Nettie went with us the other day to the private clinic in case I didn't understand everything the pediatrician said.  She said that Anneka's heart is large and to make an appointment with the cardiologist (who is currently on vacation).  What does this mean?  Nettie and Anneka were teasing each other as they put on blue booties that everyone needs to wear to keep things sterile.  We had to buy 3 sets of these as part of Anneka's school supply list... also a roll of toilet paper.  =)


     And this picture was taken today in the state clinic.  I thought it would be fast, as we were there just for a TB test and they have special hours for this in a special room.   But it was CRAZY!  This picture does not even begin to show how crazy it was.  I felt weird snapping a picture down the hall in order to really show it.  Tuesday mornings are when they pediatrician for babies is in, and everyone with their baby was there, with multiple babies crying, many people standing around in the hallway, bouncing their babies.    I was so thankful that my new friend, Ira, was with me to help me because we had to get a special paper from the pediatrician first and then stand in line for the TB test.  Ira was able to cut in the pediatrician line because she told everyone it would be quick.  I would have never known to do that!  I was shocked at how many people were getting TB tests.  The open hours were from 9-11 this morning, and we got in at 10:59 (with many people behind us still!)  I'm sooo glad we got it done, and so thankful for Ira's kindness.   Anneka worked in a little workbook while we waited and was so patient.  And Ike slept.  Through all of the crying of the other babies and everything.  And Ella has a cold, so she was home with Leif while he caught up on emails.  =) 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful update. Praying it’s a great school year for Anneka. So thankful for her kind teacher and already a little girl willing to be a friend. Each of these are huge. Thanking God with you for his goodness!
Holly in Kyiv

Irene Gustafson said...

Praising God for all the doors opening and prayers being answered. I will continue to pray for you all as Anneka waits, and then works hard to learn Russian and enjoy new friendships of her up coming class. Love you all, Grandma Irene