Saturday, September 01, 2012

September 1st




     September 1st is a big day in Russia.  Not only does it officially mark the first day of fall, but it is the first day of school!  It doesn't matter which day of the week the first falls upon, September 1st is THE day.  Today we met up with some new friends at their daughter's first day of school ceremony.  I love how it's a family event.  Everyone meets outside for a welcoming program for 40 minute or so, and then they enter the building to go to their classes.



     The kids wear uniforms and they all look so nice.    Everyone comes and brings flowers for their teachers. The little boys wear suits and ties and the girls where skirts or jumpers and white shirts and their hair is all done up in braids and puffy white bows.  Some bows are so huge they are larger than the girls' heads!  




     I wish I'd gotten a better picture of a group of kids entering the school grounds.  It all feels so festive!




     Yesterday evening, we had this new family and the Brubachers over to play a game.

 

     The boys played and played together, and our girls just clung to Liza.  So cute.  They were all pretty loud and wild, running around and screaming.  Last night Egor was so excited from the events that he kicked and shouted in his sleep, reliving everything.



 
      We let the girls stay up until 10:00.  At one point, I went into our "reaading room" and saw Ella cuddled up with Liza.  =)

     We're looking forward to growing in friendship with this nice family!

1 comment:

Irene Gustafson said...

How fun, and what agreat event. Did Anneka get to start school too? I'm so glad you guys are so good at making friends. God bless you.