Sunday, April 17, 2011

чёлка (bangs)



A few weeks ago we got family haircuts. Anneka got a mullet and I got these bangs. It was not planned. We just sat in the chairs at the haircutting place and in one fell snip, it happened. I hated them (and I still don't like them), but I got to looking around, and I realized that I'm very stylish now. Everyone tells me that I look like a Russian girl with my bangs (чёлка). It's funny how your sense of style starts to change. And it can happen in one day. I used to think it was ridiculous how all of the ladies went around in high heels all of the time... especially high heeled boots in the winter! But then this week, I all of a sudden felt that I had man-shoes. And I find myself thinking a lot about high heels. I walked around with Ella in her stroller an hour before church today so that she could get a good nap in (and then I could just park her stroller outside). I like this time to pray and think. Anyways, I saw a lady walking in high heeled boots and thought, "she looks really good"... and just about the moment that I thought to myself that I need to get some heels, too, she tripped and fell a tremendous fall. And now I'm back to thinking that I probably don't need them after all.

5 comments:

Gina said...

love your bangs. So funny about the high heels. and I totally know what you mean about your sense of style changing with your environment. I always felt like I needed to dress up in shanghai!! and in spokane i feel like I wear the same jeans and black fleece everyday and im totally fine with that!! SO FUNNY!

This Is The Day said...

That is so funny about the heels.

Bangs are very popular right now! I like the look of them, but not the maintenance so I am going to remain bang free. :) Yours look good! It is really popular to get really thick, blunt cut bangs, but I like the look of the thinner ones.

The Boggs Family said...

Hi Gustafsons! What a funny post! :)... fun to read, that is! :) I actually love the way your bangs look! .... super stylin'! Thinking of you all & glad you are doing well! HUGS!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with the others that your bangs look adorable on you. Cheri just got bangs for the fist time in several years, too. I do think it's back in style here too. I love the way heels look too, but don't trust myself with higher than about an inch and a half, and only for short events that I drive to (like church). Love you, Mama Irene

Cheryl Bockus said...

I, too, think your bangs are bangin'! I was just thinking this morning that i need mine trimmed. :) Its funny, too, that the other day i was watching one of my fellow (younger--25 y/o) teachers walk around in her heels. I thought, "maybe i should dress up more..." But when i passed her room later, she was walking around with her shoes off! I really appreciated my Chucks at that moment. Working from 7 to 5 is not conducive to heels at all.

This is one of my favorite posts from you. You have a really expressive writer's voice here. :) Miss you!