Monday, February 28, 2011

A Couple Of Babies



Anneka and Ella are such sweet sisters. Ella is (usually) content when Anneka is nearby. If she's all alone in a room then she crawls and kind of cries in search of company. But if Anneka is with her, then she's happy.




Our friend, Yulia, and her daughter Esphir (Russian form of Esther) stayed the night with us last week. Her husband was out of town and she didn't want to go back to her home after Bible study. Anneka was happy to have a "walking baby" around. (Esphir just turned a year old). But Esphir wasn't so happy to have Anneka hold her. It was a little too much.

A little difference between most Russian kids and most American kids: Anneka and Ella went to bed around 8:00 and Esphir went to bed at 11:00. There's a show that plays on a main t.v. channel called "Goodnight" for kids that starts at 10:00 every night.

Yesterday, a lady, Vera, was here, and she was horrified that I gave Anneka cold milk out of the refrigerator. "She'll get a sore throat and catch a cold!", she said. And I'm horrified when little babies drink black tea with sugar. That's a recipe for rotten teeth, I think. But somehow all of the kids grow up to be okay.

3 comments:

This Is The Day said...

Oh my goodness, I can't believe that about the late bedtime! Do they sleep really late to compensate for it?? That must be so strange to be living out your own culture in a different one around you. That is too funny about the lady saying Ella should be walking at 8 months! That would be WAY early!

Anonymous said...

Just LOVE that picture of my beautiful happy granddaughters! And glad to get to see a picture of Yulia's baby. Baba

Anonymous said...

I often think about the fact that there are so many "right" ways to parent a child...and also various "wrong" ways, too. I am thankful that, by God's grace, babies actually grow-up and turn out okay.