Anneka is three and she just got her very first haircut last week! She was bald for her baby life and only really started growing hair after she was 2. Martina was nice enough to be the hairdresser.
The weather here is so dry, so what were cute curls in the States often looked like a scraggly mess here. So we did something about it. Martina cut these really long strands in the back.
It's not that much shorter, but it looks so much better!
Speaking of Anneka, she is such a caring, sensitive girl. I had a migraine last week and Leif was gone in the evening. All on her own she put her little hand on my head and prayed for me. Then she brought me a cold washcloth and put it on my forehead and she said she wanted to give me a bath (but needed help turning on the water in the bathtub). She kept saying, "I'll take care of you, Mama!"
Another sweet (and sad) thing happened when I was reading her a book called The Rescuers. There's a little girl named Penny in the book who is an orphan. At the end of the book there's a man interviewing Penny and Anneka asked me, "Is that her Papa?" I explained that it was just an announcer, and she asked me, "Where is her Papa?" I told her that Penny didn't have a mama or papa... that she was an orphan. Anneka's little chin began to quiver and her eyes filled with tears. Then she started sobbing! She cried, "I thought everyone had a mama and papa!" We prayed together for kids who don't have parents and talked about families that we know who have adopted orphans. It really IS a sad, sad thing, and I love that Anneka feels so deeply.
And yesterday while Anneka and I ate leftovers for lunch, Leif was late in coming because he was on skype with someone. We were both really hungry and Leif's food was sitting there hot after we'd finished ours, and I asked her, "Should we eat Papa's lunch, too?" "No!" she said, "it's Papa's!" It didn't matter that I could get him more from the refrigerator. She was looking out for him.
4 comments:
What a sweet girl from the inside and from the outside. I love to read about what is happening with all of you. Miss you soooo much!!!!
Oh Jami... that is so sweet! What a tender heart she is; and darling haircut! It fits her perfectly! :) (I hear ya on the thin, whispy strands at this stage that end up just looking nappy in the back- for that same reason, we trim Maggie's hair too.) I just melted reading this post. You guys are amazing people with an incredible gift to share the Gospel... am so touched it is impacting your children the way it is. They are blessed!!!!
Yes Anneka is a very sweet, tenderhearted little girl. I loved the way she talked with me the other day while I set up the computer. She's a real jewel. Tell her Grandma prays for her every day and loves her. Of course I also love those incredible parents who have done such a great job raising her and that adorable little sister, Ella. May you all feel God's blessings of health and happiness. Love, GrandMama Irene
What a sweet little girl. It sounds like she has the gift of empathy/mercy. Not many kids can really understand how to put themselves in other's shoes, but it sounds like she does that automatically. What a wonderful gift!
And what a cute haircut! She looks so sweet with her new do! :)
Our girls can't seem to grow hair either...I wish they did. I am jealous of Waylon...he is three weeks younger than S and has had 8 haircuts!!! She barely has any hair at all. Not fair. :)
Post a Comment