Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Adjusting To Our New World



The only reason I have time to blog right now is because both girls are sleeping and they are in separate rooms... and I've done all that I can do in the living room and kitchen (and don't want to risk waking them up in their rooms).

This past week has felt pretty hectic. We came into it already tired, and now we're trying to adjust. As one of the girls will likely wake up soon, I'll give brief glimpses of the past few days:

JET LAG- Anneka waking at 1:30 and not going back to sleep until 4:30, when Ella wakes up, bed hopping (at one point all four of us were in one bed!), walking around in a daze in the late afternoon, falling asleep on public transportation, etc.

DISASTER HOME- unpacking all of the stuff we boxed away while our Russian friends lived here, putting away all of the stuff we brought from the States, finding lots of broken stuff (including our bathroom faucet and toilet).

LINES, DOCUMENTS, PAPERWORK- getting Ella registered, turning in our documents after being in the States for 5 months, preparing to apply for our long-term residency, going to the notary, going to the translation office (multiple times, I may add... this story could be longer, but we'll just say it's tiring, especially with two kiddos).

ADJUSTING TO TWO- I've had so much help this summer that I'm just now adjusting to having two kids. It doesn't help that we're all jet lagged and that Anneka caught a cold. But it's interesting. Our nearby store has been closed every day and I'm thinking it may be closed for good! This makes walking to the other store (still not that far away, but farther) a big event with a baby and toddler. Anneka doesn't want to step on any cracks or any garbage, so it takes FOREVER to walk anywhere. It's like an obstacle course.

But on the up side, I think we're all feeling glad to be back. Anneka has said several times, "I like our Russia home". I'm so thankful!! She doesn't remember any Russian and asks all the time what people are saying. She talks REALLY LOUDLY everywhere we go. There's no hiding that we're foreigners. She's such a funny girl. I love her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my!!! Knowing how crazy it all was here in the states and then going right into all the many demands..it is too much. The Lord gives you the strength you need for each day. Praying for you! Baba

Anonymous said...

I'm praying, too. May God grant you special blessings to help with each challenge you face. I am trying to skype with you, but don't know when. God bless you all, Love Grand Mama Irene

This Is The Day said...

Wow, that sounds...awful. Praying for you guys. Hope everything settles down soon.