
We began decorating for Christmas last weekend. I love this time of year- and we even have pretty snow now instead of a thin layer of charcoaled ice. Anneka enjoyed being a part of the decorating and choosing where to put the ornaments.
There are pros and cons to being away from America during the Christmas season. I truly miss times with family. I miss the decorations and Christmas music in every store and restaurant. I miss Christmas parties and decorated houses. I miss all of the yummy food and the holiday musicals, plays, ballets, The Messiah, etc, etc! I love how there's a month of the year where you can see Jesus just about anywhere (even despite the commercialism and other stuff).
But I don't get stressed about Christmas here. It's pretty relaxed. We're not surrounded by commercialism so we aren't bombarded with feeling like we "have to" get this or that or buy a bizillion presents, etc. I like that it makes us really focus on the true meaning of the holiday and not get caught up in the bustle. Our teammate's sister in the States has 4 kids and they already have long lists of what they want for Christmas (mind you, they're good kids! They're just surrounded by advertisements and friends who talk about this stuff). My teammate also has 4 kids. They could care less what they get for Christmas. They're thrilled when they get packages from the States. They love to have presents, but it doesn't matter to them what is in the presents. I thought that was interesting.
Anneka LOVED hanging this snowflake ornaments up in the kitchen. She wanted to do them all by herself and was SO PROUD afterward. She ran into the living room to get Papa and to show him her handiwork.
For the past seven years, Leif and I have had the tradition of celebrating advent in the weeks leading up to Christmas. I love it! On Sundays, Inka joins us and we read a passage of scripture and sing songs focused on that week's theme of hope, love, joy, and peace. On the other nights of the week, Leif and I have our own time of lighting the candle(s) and reflecting... sometimes with Anneka and sometimes without. We want her to be a part of the tradition, but it's also distracting if she joins us every night! Especially because she is fascinated with candles. I love the Christmas season and taking the time to reflect on the miracle of Jesus and all that He is and has done for us.
3 comments:
Thanks for these lovely pictures of decorating. Things look so special. I miss having you guys here for the holidays, too. Love you! Grandmama Irene
Hello, fellow missionaries in Russia! Thanks for sharing about your decorations. You're right, Christmas isn't so commercialized here, so it's nice to have it be more of a church/family holiday. New Year's is pretty intense, though!
Great pics! Don't kids make the holidays so much more fun?? Everything is so wonderous and exciting to them. I love it!
Post a Comment