Friday, July 31, 2009

Birthday at Baikal



Irene came for a shorter time this summer, so we wanted to do something special with her. We spent three days at Lake Baikal and had a really good time!



I got to spend my birthday there. Anneka slept in until 8:00, just for me! Then she hung out with her papa and gramma while I went out on the beach to journal and read my Bible. I came back to balloons, presents, and a yummy raspberry coffee cake that Irene had made. They helped make my birthday really special. And God gave us PERFECT weather!



We stayed in a little red cabin that was practically on the beach (we just had to walk down stairs). It was quiet and peaceful. There was a fire pit for roasting s'mores (that Gramma brought) and a sink. Here I am, filling the sink with lake water from an old beer jug.



Anneka LOVED playing in the sand. She had three ready playmates, too!



She also had other various playmates each day. One thing I love about Russian culture is that kids all share their toys. If you bring it to the beach, it becomes a community item!



Water fight!



The water was cold, but oh-so-refreshing on a hot day! I like this picture because Leif and I are in the background, and Anneka is happily oblivious.



One day we went for a beach walk. Anneka and Gramma both liked to go the same pace, stopping for pretty rocks (Gramma to keep them, Anneka to plunk them into the water).



Family Fun



The sunset was so bright, it almost didn't look real!



Today we had to say goodbye to Gramma Irene. Anneka has been saying "Bye-bye, Gramma" all day. We had a wonderful time with you, Irene! Thank you for making the big trip to come and see us!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Jami! Did you go to Enkhalook fo your celebration? It looks fabulous. Yulia

Leif and Jami Gustafson said...

Yep, Enkhalook! It was so nice!