Friday, July 17, 2009

Chicken Pox, the Cops, and a Toothache



The day after we returned from camp, our friends, Vitya and Svyeta, had us over for dinner. Svyeta made these yummy potato dumplings along with chicken and rice and a really nice salad. She had everything displayed so nicely- like a little restaurant. The kids played so nicely together in the next room. Two of their girls are just getting over the chicken pox, so we'll see if Anneka gets them after the incubation period of 7-10 days. I kind of feel like it's okay if she does. It's nice to get it over with. Vitya and Svyeta are strongly considering going into full time ministry in the fall. Vitya has been a part of taking the Jesus Film to villages in the past. They're a really neat family.



I realized today that I must be getting used to things here a little more. The other day I knocked a whole display of shampoo over at the store and the lady working there got really mad at me. A couple of years ago, the whole situation would've been really traumatic. But it wasn't. And right now our hot water is off and we have to bathe with pots of water and do dishes by heating water first, but it's also not as big of a deal as it used to be. And then two days ago, I took a taxi home from the market. I don't take a taxi a lot, but I was carrying a lot of things (including Anneka) and it was raining. Plus, it was a long walk to and from the bus stops. Anyways, our driver got pulled over by a policeman (I snapped a picture). Anneka and I waited for over 50 minutes and by then it stopped raining, so we walked to the bus stop and went home. Drivers get pulled over all the time here. I've been in the car multiple times with people who've been pulled over. I probably wouldn't have even thought about blogging about this if it weren't for the picture I took because it's a nomral thing. This is one of the reasons why I'm afraid to drive here!!

Tomorrow I'm going to the dentist. I looked up and wrote down different words and phrases from the dental sphere of things (not my normal vocabulary. I pray it goes well!!

No comments: