Thursday, February 26, 2009

Outhouse In The Winter



Outhouses don't stink in the winter. Everything is frozen! Did I ever tell you that I fell through the floor of the outhouse at camp this summer? Well, I did. Thankfully I wasn't holding Anneka at the time (many other trips, I'd taken her in there with me). The floor was rotted and broke beneath my weight. I should have a complex because I've broken several chairs and a bed just by sitting on them. (and then, of course, the outhouse ordeal). But I've chosen to not have a complex about it.

Leif has been really busy these last weeks. He's been diligently learning Buryat. I am SO impressed by how much he's learning. He has had me quiz him on his verbs and he already understands the conjugations and past tense changes for words. Amazing! I know he feels like he has a long ways to go but it's easy for me to see how far he's come... in such a short time! I know he'd appreciate your prayers as learning a new language is not an easy task.

He's also been involved with helping some guys start a garbage business. Leif was kind of the "middle man" in getting them a loan to buy a truck. They've met a couple more times this week to go over details and logistics. It's really great because it gives a lot of guys in the church jobs who otherwise would have a hard time finding work (for example, ex-convicts and ex-drug addicts). It's also nice because a whole area of town that has not had garbage pickup now has this as an option! I'd sure be happy if I lived there to have this new service!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, don't you love the outhouses in Siberia! Something special about them in every season :-D

Elisabeth

The Boggs Family said...

Wow! So is it pretty rare to have a bathroom inside a dwelling? Do most people use outhouses even at their primary residence? (be it an apartment/hotel/house/ect.) I can't imagine falling through! .. Ahh Jamie, that had to be awful! You are such a good sport to use it as comedy now. ;) We will be praying for Leif's new language skills as he learns Buryat. Loved the pics of Anneka too, she is just simply beauitful and has the most expressive eyes! Hugs to you all...

The Boggs Family said...

P.S. Sorry, just realized I threw an "e" at the end of your name by mistake. My sister's name is also Jaimie, and I think I just spell it out that way without even thinking! So sorry!! I know your's ends in an "i" ;)

This Is The Day said...

You fell through one of those?!? YUCK! I will pray extra hard that you will not fall through any more outhouses! :) Thats great about the garbage business!

Anonymous said...

So when we are there in April, the outhouses will be muddy and will have the smell I am not fond of...
Baba

Leif and Jami Gustafson said...

The apartments have toilets, but most houses have outhouses. This is one of the university outhouses, although they have an inside bathroom, too (it's just not always open). And our church has an outhouse.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am def loving the cafe bathroom (in the March post) now! LOL! For sure!!
~Cheryl