Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Tot And A Pot

A tot in a pot:


























A tot on the pot:




Anneka has been using her little potty before she takes baths. We heap the praise on her! I am not motivated enough to start potty training now, though, while she has to wear 6 layers. To me, that's more work than changing her diaper. If she brings me her potty, then I assist her (which she's done a couple of times). But it's on her turf.

The poor little girl has been sick the last couple of days... kind of flu-ish. Last night she fell asleep on me as we were reading books, and she was so tired this morning that she climbed up on the chair in the living room and fell asleep. She's never done that before! I can tell people are praying for her. She's getting better by the hour and is now sleeping happily in her bed for the night.

Yesterday I went to our little local store and was kind of in a bad mood. I have this thing where I despise getting multiple items at the store when there are a lot of people there. You have to get all of your items from the lady behind the counter and I don't like to have people waiting behind me. Well, there were tons of people in there, most getting beer and cigarettes. And everyone in the store was dressed in black. As I waited in line, I counted all of the different types of mayonaise and- I'm not kidding- there were 17!! I'm not talking about 17 of the same type of mayonaise, but 17 different brands and sizes and types. And when I left, later, I remembered that they usually sell small packs of mayo with the butter and cheese and I didn't even count those. So there were probably more like 20 different types. Well, this shouldn't have annoyed me, but it did because often the store is out of things like sugar, flour, and milk. They never run out of mayo or wilted fish with squishy eyes. And I usually don't care about those things. As I was leaving, I overheard the lady behind me asking for the "fattiest milk" that they had. This is a pretty common request.

I walked outside and was annoyed again by a group of guys, smoking the cigarettes and drinking the beer they'd just bought, who were making fun of people and seemed to be up to no good. I just thought, "Yuck. It's cold, I forgot my gloves, I only got 60% if the items I wanted to buy, these guys are polluting the air even more, blah, blah, blah" and then I realized how judgemental I was being and it hit me really hard that God really really loves these guys who are dressed in black and seem to be up to no good. And then I thought about what these guys would be like if they knew Jesus personally and knew the plans God had for their lives and were filled with joy... how powerful that would be! And then I remembered that God tells us that if we pray anything in His name, He'll do it! And so I prayed for those guys, and for the other people I passed on my short walk home. I want to do that more- pray in faith that God will change people. And I want to see people as God sees them, not through my clouded glasses, but through His lenses of love. And I want to believe God for really big things and trust that He will do more than I can ask or imagine.

6 comments:

The Boggs Family said...

Amen to that!! :) You are such a wonderful encouragement, just being you! I will pray for Anneka's continued health restored. Those pics of her with the pot are so cute. She has such beautiful, bright, captivating eyes!!

This Is The Day said...

I love how you always let God use you and convict you. You are such an example! It's so easy to be discontent wit things and judgemental of others, it's not so easy to see them as God sees them. I'm so thankful for your example, and the reminder to see as God sees. And I can't believe Anneka is interested in the potty already, that's great! She seems like she is getting more beautiful every day! She really is a beautiful little girl!!!

Angela said...

Now WHY would there be an overabundance of "wilty fish with squishy eyes?" I just can't imagine :) I know, I know, my American reasoning for why is not the correct one, but it did make me smile- we love you!

DouloScott said...

Jami,

Thank you for sharing this. To have Godly perspective is something I think that all of us need a daily reminder to strive toward. I definitely need to ask for God's vision of those around me right now and your experience is something that I can currently relate to.

Anonymous said...

I too need to be reminded not to judge, but pray more. Our little cutie is growing up and doing such amazing things. May our precious Lord continue to guide you and heal Anneka.
Love and kisses, GrandMama Irene

Anonymous said...

I love that you are you! :) Katie likes her potty, too, but she hasn't actually used as much more than a toy yet. :)

anita