Monday, March 20, 2017

Siberian Festival of Arts




     A few weeks ago, I was asked to speak at a Festival of Arts for students, ages 10-24.  The theme of the festival was the Refugee Crisis.  As part of an international competition, students were to prepare something (e.g. essay, powerpoint, video, skit, song, artwork) that spoke from their perspective on potential solutions to the crisis.  Before I went, I knew little about what I was getting into.  But I have to say it was such a delight to both speak to and hear from these bright young people!  This (pictured above) presentation was touching, as each person stepped forward representing Buryats, Russians, Tartars, Azerbaijanis, and Ukrainians.  They held hands after their introductions and said, "And we are friends".  They went on to speak of peace and opening the borders of our hearts to one another.




     I don't have any pictures of me speaking, but here I am passing out certificates at the end.  =)  I enjoyed talking with people afterward and met students who are interested in further practicing their English.  It'll be interesting to see if anything comes of these connections.

No comments: