One of the things we really missed when we first moved here were foods that were quick and easy to eat- sliced bread, lunch meat, peanut butter, canned soups (especially cream of mushroom for cooking with), boxes of macaroni and cheese, and let's be honest- frozen chimichangas (and pre-packaged guacamole, no less!). Of course, the more additives and preservatives, the less healthy. But it's also nice sometimes to have lunch ready in a couple of minutes!
Over time we've adapted to more food preparation and are probably healthier for it. (this is probably one of the reasons we don't have any cavities, too!) But there are moments when we find new fast options here that are simply wonderful. Our newest treasure is something that I would have never believed 10 years ago that we would EVER choose to eat at all, much less on a regular basis (especially since Leif and I didn't even like beets) . It's borsh base in a jar!! Beets, cabbage, carrots, potatoes, onions, etc... all cut up and ready to make into soup! I just add water, a little meat, a few potatoes, and Wha-la! Borsh! The kids absolutely love it. The first time I made it, they ALL exclaimed how amazing it was and asked if we could have it again. So. Funny. So now we eat it at least 2 times a week for lunch. There are other soup bases, too, that we have tried, and they love them all.
Leif is traveling back from a hiking trip now as I type. We had two kids stay with us yesterday and until church this morning, as their dad is recovering from a surgery and their mom is also on this trip. It was nice to have a shchi (cabbage soup) base on hand to be able to serve them, as it's a taste that they're used to (and not strange American food!). It was a bit crazy getting everyone bathed and ready for church. Here's a picture I took while we waited at the bus stop:
They're looking forward to seeing their "mama", and we're ready to see our "papa"!
2 comments:
Wow, it's hard enough with Daddy gone, but taking on two more kids?! You're a supermom!
They all look so cute. You are such a great mama! Hugs & prayers, Mama Irene
Post a Comment