Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Women's Day


     Women's Day was already last month, but I'm still playing catch-up with blogs.  It's such a big holiday here, that we can't not post about it.  Ella had this picture taken at kindergarten for Women's Day.  She went to school in a t-shirt and ponytail, and they doctored the picture to make her look like a fancy lady.  The funniest part to me was that Ella didn't even give the picture a second glance when she saw it.  She could take it or leave it.  =)


     I love the picture Ella made of me for Women's Day. 


     She did a great job in her program at school reciting her lines, dancing, and playing bells.  For the morning performance she did a special angel dance with some of the other girls. 

https://davemartina.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/dscn2039.jpg?w=640

     Some of the ladies from our church put together a special ladies' gathering on the actual holiday. I invited several ladies to come with me, but none were able to this time around.  All the same, it was a nice time and fun to see so many ladies of stages of life coming together to grow and show love to one another.


IMG_1709

      I was especially encouraged by one lady, Natasha, who's never shared up front before.  She had some great illustrations about trusting God and the privileges we have as his children.  It's really neat to see people realizing that they can do things they didn't know they could do and beginning to serve.

     I have gotten little Women's Day gifts for the ladies in our church a couple of years.  This year I bought face masks.  We had five left over, so the kids and I, along with our friend, Lena, tried them out.  The kids all quickly decided they weren't as great as they had dreamed.

    On the morning of Women's Day, I got together with these friends from my discussion group.  Regina taught us how to boil bean sprouts and mix them with garlic, oil and soy sauce as a salad.  We enjoyed nice conversation and gave each other gifts.  This was the first time Larissa and Sveta had ever tried bean sprouts.  A little girl took our picture so it's kind of blurry.  =)

    


2 comments:

Irene Gustafson said...

What fun pictures, beautiful Ella and such a good artist, too. I thank God you make so many lovely connections and celebrate Women. God bless, hugs and prayers to/for you all, Grand Mama Irene

This Is The Day said...

It's so interesting to me that the Russian culture seems so much deeper than ours. Maybe our cultural things are just less noticeable since I'm used to them. But you do seem to be experiencing a deep and rich culture there with the extra holidays and performances and such. So neat!