![]() |
| The first buds of spring bring great excitement! |
Spring has taken on a whole new meaning for me since living in Siberia. While it doesn't quite look the same as spring does in Washington, it is still glorious because it comes after a long and cold winter.
Spring is a reminder of God's faithfulness. He sets the sun, moon, and stars in motion. He brings the sun each day, and he brings the seasons- spring, summer, winter, fall- every year. We have hope each winter because we know that it won't be winter forever. And we see the consistency of the seasons- it's a reminder that God keeps His promises.
It is so fun to see our kids' excitement over spring. Each day on the way to school, Anneka and I inspect the bushes to see if any green is pushing through. The first day we saw buds was a truly exciting day! Anneka broke out in praise to God, saying, "Thank you God for spring, for the birds twirting (yes, she said "twirting"), and for the green on the trees." Ella also shows great excitement in seeing the green around us, and we even saw the very first flowers that pop up from under the snow (they look like crocuses) this past week. In some moments, I feel a little sad when I see the kids' pure joy over these tiny buds when I know that in other places in the world, spring means bursts of color everywhere- vibrant green grass, daffodils, blossoms on trees... but at the same time, I can't help but share the joy because ANY life where there has been grey really is a beautiful thing. And just as I know that this is just a tiny glimpse of spring in other places, it reminds me that heaven is so much more glorious than anything we can imagine!!
Anneka has her own special tree. We walk by it almost every day. She likes to climb it and talk about it and dream up plans for what she'll do in her tree this summer. It still has leftover leaves from last fall and basically looks dead. But each day we inspect to see- is there any green yet? Any hope of life. And in faith, we trust that one of these days the green will come. And this tree will burst forth in life and beauty. Today she even prayed that God would bring green to her special tree.
In the same way, we look at special people around us. People that we see frequently, that we spend time with and think about often. We wonder, when will their hearts come to life? When will they know the hope of Jesus and put their trust in Him? Spring reminds me that there is hope. Spring reminds me that God is the giver of life, even when everything looks dead and grey.
I'm reminded of the first time I ever came to Ulan-Ude, in the summer of 1999. I was here with a summer team, and a song that we sang went like this...
One Name under heaven whereby we must be saved,
One Name under heaven whereby we must be saved.
Forgiven of my sins, baptized in the water, filled with the Holy Spirit, washed by the by the blood of the Lamb,
Forgiven of my sins, baptized in the water, filled with the Holy Spirit, washed by the by the blood of the Lamb.
Free, really free my friends, freed by the blood of the Lamb,
Free, really free my friends, freed by the blood of the Lamb.
God's gonna move in this place, God's gonna move in this place, God's gonna turn the whole world upside down,
God's gonna move in this place, God's gonna move in this place, God's gonna turn the whole world upside down.
As we sang that song that summer, I knew that God was speaking. He will do an amazing work here. He will free people from darkness and despair. He will bring life. I feel blessed that He would use us as a part of this. And just as Anneka prayed for green to come to her special tree, we pray for eternal life to come to these special people.

6 comments:
What a beautiful way to look at Spring. Thanks for the reminder!
I love it! I pray for the seeming dead wood of people's hearts to burst forth with new life, and fruit bearing seeds to spread through the land!
My heart, too, resounds with every part of this, Jami. I love Anneka's dreams for her tree and the birds twirting and the "podsnezhniki" flowers and the glimpses of buds in a grey world. May God bring encouragement to your spring-heart!!!
Praise God Jami, Anneka and Ella (and Ike and Leif). I thank Him for your beautiful spring thoughts and prayers. Hugs, GrandMama Irene
Asking gma if she had any comments after reading the blog she said, say we really enjoyed it! She chuckled with the delight Ella had in gum. Grandma use to be called, "Grandma gum"...as she almost always had gum in her purse for her grandkids. She said you have the same psychology with the gum and the doctor appt. as she gave me a dime for every shot I had when I was in the hospital as a 5 yr. old. And..
we are ANXIOUS to see all of you!!!
This is so sweet!
And I think we've discussed our U-U connections before, but I didn't realize (remember?) that we must have actually been there the same summer?!?
Post a Comment