Yesterday evening our neighbor came to the door, wanting to talk. Leif has talked with him several times before, making the most of the opportunity to share with him about the hope we have (and that he can have) in Jesus.
When he came, I took the kids back into the bedroom and we prayed together that God would help us to be hospitable and to show love to this guy. And that Leif would have words to share with him. We hid out for awhile, but then I knew the kids were getting hungry, se we made our way to the kitchen to make something for dinner. It's always a little more challenging for me to know what to prepare last-minute with Russian/Buryat guests because we simply eat different foods. Thankfully, our friends had recently brought us a big bag of potatoes, so Anneka and I got to work preparing them while Ella and Ike pulled everything out of the kitchen cupboard onto the floor. The washing machine (which is in our kitchen because of space) was whirring and is so loud it sounds like an airplane. We managed to pull together something and the kids put everything back more organized than it's ever been.
This is a funny cultural thing. Almost every Russian needs bread with their meal... EVEN if you're serving rolls or something else that's starchy, bread is very important. I'd totally forgotten about this, and the first thing he asked was, "You don't have any bread?" I was so happy because Nettie had brought bread earlier that morning (I'd made lunch for the crew that helped the Blakers to move and she brought bread to contribute and this loaf was leftover). I wanted to kiss her right then. I love how God loves to show us how we are a part of a larger body and he cares for us through one another.
Who knows if our neighbor was touched by anything shared, but we can pray and do our part to share. He did invite us to his place for dinner sometime soon. We'll see where it leads!
2 comments:
This is your life...and it's about sharing Christ! Love it! Baba
So proud of you guys and your thoughtful sharing (including the whole team). God is truly with you. Keep praying for Grandma Margie and Grandpa Jack. Love and Hugs, Grand Mama Irene
Post a Comment