Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Acts of Kindness


     On the same day we finished up Ike's medical tests to apply for his residency (that makes 21 trips to different doctors in less than one month!), we got this huge package from a family in Germany that we've never even met!!!  It was such a lovely surprise, and oh-so-fun to open!  I just love how God knows just when we need encouragement and how He lavishes us.  

   
      The package was full of all sorts of fun things- clothes (here, Anneka and I are sporting our new shirts), fun German candy, games, peanut butter, marshmallows, baking powder, fast rising yeast, a soft blanket, scarves and gloves, ETC!


     The family that sent us the package are friends of Inka's.  It was perfect because Inka was at the dentist (in our neighborhood) the day the package came.  She popped on over afterwards to be with us while we  opened it.  It truly is amazing how God provides for much more than what we need.  He loves to remind us how much He loves us and He often does this through beautiful people!

     Another act of kindness was the other day when Ike and Anneka and I were out running errands.  (Ella was with Leif as he helped some friends get firewood).   Anneka wanted to stop into a second-hand store and say hello to the lady working there.  We had just planned on saying "hi" and going, but there was a bin of hats for 50% off and Anneka found one she liked that was a good price.  The lady didn't have change for my 500 ruble bill, so she told me to just give her the small change that I had and that would be good.  I was about 10 rubles short (about 30 cents) and she told us that was good enough.  On our way home, however, I had change again and asked Anneka run in to give the lady the 10 rubles. (I stayed out with a sleeping Ike in the stroller).  The lady wouldn't take the money from Anneka and told her to go and buy ice cream with it.  As you can imagine, Anneka was soooo happy!

     And another day I went to pick up the results from Ike's HIV test (it's required for applying for residency).  I had gone a little out of the way to give someone a ride and then there was a traffic jam... so I arrived there about 15 minutes after closing.  The guard at the door told me "sorry, come back Monday".  I asked him a few times if there was anyone there and he said that all of the offices with the results were locked up for the day.  I told him it was a bummer because of the traffic jam and that I have three kids and it's hard to get down there.  He paused for a minute and then said, "let me check".  He found one of the doctors in a different part of the building.  He told her that I was his American friend and she was so nice and got the results for me!  That kind man and lady saved me probably 3 hours of time and hassle!

     I'm so thankful for unexpected blessings!

3 comments:

Irene Gustafson said...

What wonderful blessing. I'm so happy God gives you such wonderful encouragement. I love you and your wonderful family. Praise God and love and hugs from me, too. Grand Mama Irene

Anonymous said...

I just emailed you about praises and thankfulness...and then I looked at your blog. God is good!

This Is The Day said...

Yay! I love those little unexpected blessings! They are so easy to miss or pass off as coincidences but God is definitely in the details and I love how easy it is to see His hand working if we just take time to look!