Sunday, October 06, 2013

Our Green Pumpkin




     As we live in Russia, it's fun to keep some American traditions.  One that our family has done each year is carve a pumpkin.  Last weekend, Anneka had a homework assignment of making a creation out of a vegetable.  Also, she's been asking for awhile now if we can roast pumpkin seeds so that she can take them out on the playground and share them with her friends.  So it was a perfect weekend to find a pumpkin and have some fun family time together!




     There was only one pumpkin at the outdoor market (where the grandmas sit and sell vegetables from their gardens).  It's not the traditional orange, but we bought it immediately!  Since this was for Anneka's school assignment, we let her choose the face and draw it on the pumpkin.  Leif asked me if I thought it was too scary, and I was like, "no, it's fine".  But I totally wasn't thinking about the fact that it was going to school.  And that it really is CREEPY and people here don't have Halloween as a holiday!  For whatever reason, I just though Leif was asking if it was too scary for Ella and Ike.  


     When we took it to school on Monday, the teacher gasped!  It was then that I realized what a strange/creepy thing this really. is.  I explained about the tradition, and I actually think she really liked it.  The kids all gathered around and oohed and ahhed for 4 minutes.  


     Here are some of the creations that were on display from Anneka's class.  Sorry the picture quality isn't so great.  As you'll notice, the jack-o-lantern is hidden in the back.  Whew!  Next year, we'll think this through a little more!



2 comments:

Irene Gustafson said...

What fun for the family and such fun pictures. I guess it would seem like a pretty creepy holiday to those who have none like it. Glad the teacher seemed to get it and of course kids would love it, too. Hugs, Grand Mama Irene

This Is The Day said...

So interesting! I never would have thought of it as being creepy since it's about 1% of the creepiness of Halloween around here! I often wish Halloween could just be about good clean fun and trick-or-treating instead of all the blood and guts and ghosts and witches and just plain gross stuff people put out to be "scary". Glad it worked out ok for you!