Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Playing Outside


     There are playgrounds popping up all over the place!  There is a great new one in the courtyard next to us and we just found out that they're going to put one in our courtyard, too!  (in fact we heard that EVERY courtyard is getting a new playground!)  This is so great, as the weather is nice, and these playgrounds bring everyone outside.  It makes it really easy to get to know neighbors and make connections.


     These boys LOVED it when Leif spun them super-fast.  Ella was loving riding with all of the boys for awhile, but finally reached her limit and preferred to be in Papa's arms.


     Anneka has been running into people from school and playing with them.  And I've been talking with the moms as I have opportunity.  In my Russian language classes I've started working on a plan of different questions to ask people that I meet as ways to open up the conversations to spiritual things.  I was encouraged recently by reading in 1 Corinthians 2 how Paul didn't use lofty words or impressive wisdom, how he came timid and trembling and his message was very plain.  This encouraged me, as I think sometimes I can believe the lie that my Russian isn't good enough to really share God with people.  But of course, this isn't true!  It's only God who can change hearts.  He likes to use weak things/people to show His greatness!  And I'm super excited to have a plan and to be more prepared.  I'm trusting God for good things.


     I met Katia and Yulia (from our church) at their neigbhorhood playground the other day.  It was encouraging to me for a few reasons.  One, I really like Yulia and Katia and am always happy to get time to hang out with them.  Two, it was in our old neighborhood, so it was fun to see our old apartment and where we used to live.  Three, the girl pictured in the middle is one that I had prayed God would take care of when we moved away.  And it turns out that Katia sees her and talks to her a lot and has shared with her about God.  It was nice to catch up with her and talk with her a bit.  And four, Katia's mom was with us, too, and she is a totally new person!  She went through some hard times and recently went through a three-month program of basically just hearing truth every day- times for personally reading the Bible, times of teaching, times of group Bible study... every day for 90 days.  And she is totally transformed.  Her eyes light up as she talks about God and about how she never really understood about Him before.  She had gone to church before but didn't really know what everyone was talking about.  Now it's all so real to her.  So fun to talk with her and hear her stories.


     And Ike is always amusing to watch.   He got in a fight with this other baby (maybe she stole his cracker?  I can't remember).  I love to watch him explore, and he's SO HAPPY outside!  If the kids start to get a little crabby, the cure-all is to all go outside.



2 comments:

Irene Gustafson said...

Great pictures and wonderful testimony. So happy you can get out and enjoy the neighborhoods and all of you find people to hang out with. God bless you, and I love you all, GrandMama Irene

This Is The Day said...

That is so great that new playgrounds are being built! We will pray for many new contacts to be made as you all enjoy them!