Thursday, June 14, 2012

Grocery Shopping

I took the kids with me to the grocery store last week. We walked there (and of course stopped to play on the playground), and it took 3 hours! Today Lira (a really nice teenage girl from our church) stayed with the girls at the playground, and I took just Ike with me to the store. I'd planned on getting him to sleep in the stroller and leaving him with Lira, but he didn't follow my plan. Of course, he fell asleep after we were about a block away from the girls! I like going to this store because they have edible meat and you can pick things up off of the shelves instead of asking for them behind the counter. I usually make a big trip to the bigger store each week and then go to grocery kiosks/stands nearer to our apartment (still quite the excursion with three!) on other days. I felt pretty silly pushing a stroller AND a cart around the store. As I was leaving, the lady who worked at the bag check told me I could leave the baby with her next time. =) Actually, she worded it more like this, "Why didn't you leave the baby with me? Next time leave him with me!" I had Anneka take a picture of me with all of the food I carried home, but it unfortunately didn't turn out. It was an impressive pile. I'll try to get a good picture next time. Then I dropped off the food and Ike and Lira stayed with Ike and Ella while Anneka and I went to another store. It's actually a building full of a lot of little stores/stands. So you have to ask for what you want behind the counter, but there is a big selection of all sorts of things from pig fat (pictured above) to pets to food to fabric and toys. I did something I've never done before. I bought a cake for Ella's birthday tomorrow. It's a ladybug cake and she loves ladybugs. And Anneka liked it. We'll see how it tastes tomorrow! Anneka loves to be mama's helper. Yesterday she helped me clean the office. After she was done with each task I gave her (dusting, wiping down tiles, scrubbing corners on the floor), she would exclaim, "They'll say it's a STAR!". I love how she wants to hold my hand when we're out walking. Today she said she'd watch Ike while I put Ella down for her nap (it takes about 5 minutes because I read her a short book). Anneka made a little sign with a picture of a crying baby on it in the shape of an arrow. She told me that if Ike cried she'd put the arrow on the floor in front of the room Ella was in. Sure enough, the last 30 seconds or so I heard Ike crying and when I came out of the room, there was the sign on the floor, pointing the way to Ike. She's so creative! A couple of weeks ago she made this outfit for Ike because "he's the king". We did get a picture of the food that Anneka and I carried home. It's about 1/3 of what I got at the other store. Hopefully we'll be stocked up for awhile now!! This morning Leif had an area counsel meeting and then he worked on his talk for Sunday and now I just got a text from him from the immigration office saying that he's DONE turning in Ella's paperwork for her residency here!! Hooray. We are celebrating! =)

1 comment:

Irene Gustafson said...

Love the pictures and enjoyed the skype today with Ella opening birthday presents. Hope the party at the river goes well and the cake is good. Love you all, GrandMama Irene