Sunday, July 31, 2011

God's Smile When We Were In a Bit Of a Pickle

I can't load pictures on, as our computer isn't working and our super-old computer freezes up even if I try to add one picture to it. So I'll just tell you a little story.

Yesterday Martina and I got together with the mom that I told you about from the playground. We talked as the kids played outside, and it was nice. Meanwhile, Irene (my mother-in-law) was back at our new apartment, painting the girls' room door and their dressers pink. I was very grateful, as the paint fumes were SO STRONG and I didn't want the girls to be around that (or myself, being pregnant). I'd told Irene I would call her after an hour to check in, but she didn't answer. At first I thought her hands were sticky or that she was taking a shower (we don't have hot water where we're living, but there is hot water at our place-to-be). But after several calls, I thought it was a little odd.

Still, we talked a bit more as the kids played. When I'd been gone 2 hours I thought I should head back, as I still hadn't gotten ahold of Irene. Martina and the boys headed home and my new friend and her son walked me and the girls to our new place. When I ran the special phone for Irene to let me in the apartment building, it rang and rang and rang. My alarm-level went up. We waited for awhile until someone exited the building so that we could get in. And then we rang the doorbell several times. After a bit, I heard Irene yelling that she was trapped... and then she started coughing really hard. This totally freaked me out, as I didn't know where or how she was trapped, and I remembered just how strong those paint fumes were. I yelled some questions to her but got no response. I'd given her the key before I left so that she would have freedom to leave in case she needed to go somewhere. When she let me out, she'd dead-bolted the door. There was no way I could get in to her. And if you know anything about doors to Russian apartments, they are steel and VERY strong- made to keep anyone out.

Anneka started freaking out and crying. I said, "It's okay, Anneka. God will help us. Let's pray". So we prayed right there in front of our new friends that Jesus would help Irene and to help us to get to her.

We went outside and started shouting up at the windows. No answer. I went around to the back of the apartment and heard her! Irene had taken the door handle off of the door, but hadn't removed the inner workings while she was painting. The window had been open, and a big gust of wind slammed the door shut (and dumped the can of paint all over). There was practically nothing in the room for her to use as a tool to try and open the door. She'd tried for over an hour and had had no success.

I went back to my friend and had her call our friend, Erdenei, for me (as she could explain all of this way better over the phone in Russian... I don't know the words for deadbolt, etc.) He was calling for help and would get back to us. Meanwhile the girls and boy were shivering and eating cookies I'd bought them. My friend said that we needed to go to her home so that the kids would be warm and we'd wait for Erdenei's call from there. Just as we were leaving, we heard this voice from out the window, "I got out!". Irene had found the casing for a screw and had attached it to the end of her paintbrush and inserted it into the mechanism in the door. Hoory! We thanked God and went up to give our congratulations.

I told my friend that I was so thankful she'd been with me for this. It's kind of an odd thing to happen in the beginning of a friendship, but it's neat how God allowed it to work for good. He showed how He loves us and answers prayer, and he put me in a position where I needed my new friend. I love how fun God is!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...that will be a "remember when" event that you will always share with Irene. Your good humored mother-in-law related it to an I Love Lucy episode...and also shared how God answered your prayers as you were both praying. PTL!

The Boggs Family said...

AWESOME! Wow, that is a very cool story! And holy mole, I need to read and catch up more... you're pregnant?!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! Love the news! :) Hugs to you all!

Anita said...

I am glad it turned out well. I was panicking on the inside the whole way through. :)

Dana Kangas said...

I've found that the friends I have that I would consider really close friends...are the ones who went through really tough times and came out on the other side with me. We get to praise God for the victory and encourage each other in the middle of the situation.