Friday, April 09, 2010


I keep thinking of things to blog about, but our computer hasn't been working and then I forget everything (pregnancy brain). We haven't been as good at taking pictures when we're out lately either. On Monday evening Matthew and Heidi hung out with us. Of course this made Anneka VERY happy. She's always talking about Matthew and Heidi and wanting to call them on the phone. Or wanting Mama and Papa to "go bye-bye" so that she can have Matthew or Heidi to herself. I'm so thankful for the many people Anneka has in her life- near and far- who love her.

Something I did want to write about was our evening on Saturday. Leif and I went to the English school to engage in a conversation night about April Fools Day. It was fun to interact with the students and to see how they are progressing in their English. For the last hour or so, we had tea and cookies and the students asked us questions. There were 12 students there and 11 of them were Buryats. They asked why we are here and Leif told them. He also told them how he's studying the Buryat language right now as a way to connect with Buryats and to show that their culture and language are valuable... and to show that these valuable things need not be lost to have a relationship with God. Anyways, one of the ladies started talking with Leif in Buryat. And he did really well! Leif has said that he has more book knowledge in Buryat but less practice conversationally. It's much easier for him to read (and even write) than to speak it right now. But it was fun to see him speak. And I could tell that the students were happy that he was learning Buryat, too. It just felt like a neat time of building bridges... and having fun in the process.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the picture. It's great that Leif is already making progress with Buyrat. Love, Mama Irene