Friday, October 30, 2009

Masks Everywhere



People all over town are wearing masks to prevent against the swine flu, which has apparently arrived. It's so funny because I wanted to get a picture of people in masks when Leif and I were out on a date last night, so I had him stand in front of me and pretended like I was taking a picture of him. But then it turns out that we KNEW the girls I was going to take a picture of, so they posed for the camera. =) All of the schools are closed this week (and next week is a vacation week for schools). Leif is required to wear a mask in his university class, but all of the pharmacies in town are sold out. Hopefully they'll get more in soon. I read that Russia predicts the swine flu will peak in December, with 5,000 people becoming infected daily. We appreciate your prayers for protection!

In other "medical news", Leif has been going from clinic to clinic to get lab work done. The university informed him last week that they needed blood work (I think for the swine flu), a separate HIV test, and a chest X-ray in order for him to continue studying Buryat. This all takes so much extra TIME!! (waiting in long lines, arriving to find out that they only test in the morning, returning the next day to pick up results, etc, etc.) He just has one more test to get, so this should just be two more trips (one for the test and one for the results). He's a trooper!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm definately praying that you will all be healthy and spared from any exposure to the swine flu. It's on news here and lots of lines when the imunizations arrive. Gwen got her shot, but she's the only one in the family that I know of. I'd like to get to shot, but it may be another month or two before it arrives. Maybe the masks aren't such a bad idea. Hope to talk to you tomorrow. Love, GrandMama Irene