Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Did you say, "mama?"


Yes, there was a bit of a bittersweet moment for me this last week. For weeks now we have thought that maybe Anneka is saying, "hi," but we're not sure. It is really sweet to think that she is saying that and sometimes she will say it after we say, "hi," to her, but it certainly is not something she will do on demand. Well, that isn't the bittersweet moment. As papa, I get to take my turns with Anneka in things like comforting her to help her get to sleep when she is having trouble. The other night I was getting one of these turns and was happy for it as I had been away much of the day and was looking forward to a sweet moment like this with my daughter. Well, as I pull out my best soothing voice and gently massage Anneka's back, her cry got stronger and then she burst out with a full-lunged cry of, "mama-mama." Actually it was just a repeating of the sound, "ma," or maybe even, "am," I can't tell you for sure, but Jami heard this from the other room and is certain that it was, "mama." Of course she was very touched as our baby screamed out her "name". As her papa, I was excited to hear her say a word, but I have to say that as her papa trying to comfort her I felt a little bit sad. I asked her if she thought her papa was, "chopped liver," but she didn't answer the question other than continuing her crying with a few "mama-mama's" mixed in there. she has actually repeated this cry one or two times since so we feel like it's for real. It's okay though, I'm not overly sad as I've been trying to work on her first full sentence from the beginning--Papa, I love you! I mean it would be nice if she just said papa, but when I add the next part onto it I know it will just melt me. Keep checking and we'll continue to keep you updated on Anneka milestones.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wait Leif until she's 2 and turns to you and says in a sweet voice, " I love you, Papa". Abby melts our hearts when she says this.

Anonymous said...

Anneka you take after your mama. When your mama
was the same age as you, her first word was also mama. We will work on saying Baba when I see you this summer...

This Is The Day said...

That picture is SO adorable! I feel for you Leif! Kariya said "dada" first, for months before "mama" but I'm so happy for Jami! There is nothing in the world like hearing your child call to you.

gp said...

thats wonderful that you want her to say your name!! :) cause that is more work for you if she is always calling you. what a good dad.
and i have to say - what an advanced child!! 6 months old and saying hi and mama... totally impressive.!
love, gina

kadie said...

Ohhh, Leif...she'll say papa real soon!!

Gosh I can't get over how smiley she is!!

And Jami, you look so gorgeous!!

Anonymous said...

Isn't that unfair that mama is easier for them to say than papa? ;)

Jen said...

I love that Anneka is starting to say words! Give her a kiss for us!
Love you all!
Nick and Jen

DouloScott said...

Congratulations Jemka!!! Leif your time is coming. She is sooooo adorable.

The Boggs Family said...

Oh my.... what a sweet moment and benchmark in her/your history! I bet she did say "mama"... but don't worry, "papa" or "dada" is bound to follow soon. (I've actually heard the latter is supposed to be easier for babies to say, so consider Anneka extra smart that she started with the bigger challenge.) :) Thank you too for your email; we emailed you back and it came back undeliverable. Just know we look forward to reading your blog and if you have an e-newsletter, that works great for us so you can save on postage. Hugs from Spokane! ~The Boggs

Anonymous said...

Leif, I love this blog. Anneka is TALKING? Whoa! Like, wasn't she JUST born!!? Love you guys! : ) Erin

Anonymous said...

Aw. I can see how this would be bittersweet--but sweet still is the fact that even though she can't say "papa" or "dada," she knows you in her heart! :o)