Okay, so at the store today, I had to get a picture of these birds that just sit in the chest freezer as whole birds... with bar code stickers on them. It's so funny. I felt really self-conscious taking a picture (with all the guards standing around), so I just snapped it really quickly and went on my way. But we left the store, I told Inka that it wasn't a very good picture and she said we could take a picture with her holding it. So we went back inside and took this picture...
... and we got yelled at. But it was worth it. Inka just sweetly replied, "Oh okay, now we'll know for next time". And we left.
Here's a question. Are onions any good when they sprout like this? This happened after only having them a week. I've been using lots of onions and potatoes lately, but I buy big bags of them and don't know what to do when they sprout.
You're probably wondering what "horse pizza" means from the title. Should I tell you about my blunder? Okay, I will. I accidently bought horse sausage today. It was right next to the normal sausage I get but it looked better (less wrinkly) and so I asked the meat lady for it by pointing instead of using the name (like I normally would do) and realized my mistake when I got home. But I've been CRAVING pizza and had planned on making it for dinner. And I'm a little embarrassed to say that it's still in the plan. We'll see how it goes. I told Leif and he was really sweet about it and said it's supposed to be healthier and leaner than other meat. What a great husband!
10 comments:
I have a pretty good "cow heart" story that is very similar yours from our year in Krasnoyarsk- although Calvin opted out of borsch with cow heart. :) We are really enjoying reading your blog now that we are back in the states! Thanks for all the updates!
Ugh, I don't kow if I could eat horse, although it probably looks normal when you cook it all up. What did it taste like? That is so funny about the birds. I wonder what people would do here if they came across that at the grocery store? :)
Birds with barcodes...amazing. I'm glad you snapped that pic so we could see it too!
I love it! You are definitely cut out for cross cultural living if you are willing to go with the horse meat pizza. You're hardcore.
Wow, Horse.... I am not nearly daring enough to think about trying it. But you are one brave family so I hope it tasted good for you! As for those birds wow, I think I would end up laughing so hard that those guards would yell me for laughing! I am loving the stories of you life, I look forward to the next one!
I won't tell Heidi you had horse pizza. :-) But don't feel bad; Daddy almost bought like 5 or 6 kg of horse meat once because he thought it was beef and was pleasantly surprised it was cheaper! And I would use the onions; just cut the sprout part off and use the rest. :) Nice keeping up with you!
that is hilarious! i can't believe you can buy horse meat there!! did it taste funny? i love how you took those pictures in the store, man, i wish we both lived in the same foreign country, i think we'd have a blast together. and laugh a lot. miss you friend. ...
oh and i totally use onions like that :) but thats just me. i hate to throw away anything. ha ha...
I think eatting onions that have started growing is fine. It is is just like eatting potatoes that have eyes, you take off that part and as long as it isn't spoiled- go for it.
-Kim
This is great info to know.
Post a Comment