Thursday, March 20, 2008

Still in Process



Well, it was a little optimistic to think that we'd have our paperwork all in on Tuesday. We stood in line at one office and they told us we needed to go to the police station, but when we got there, they said they were only open on Mondays and Thursdays. In the meantime, we discovered that ALL of our documents that we've had translated and notorized have our names misspelled on them. And we've done A LOT of documents- probably at least 20. The translation place will change it all for free because it's their mistake, but we need to have them all notorized again. And poor Leif has stood in long lines at the notorization place for hours. (he's there again right now). And then once it's his turn, it's a detailed process of stamping, signing, being run by the head person, and then having the papers sewn together (with needle and thread). If it all is done in time, we'll go back to the police station this evening to turn everything in. If not, then we'll need to wait until Monday.

The funny story of the week was a taxi ride we took on Monday. We don't normally take taxis here, but we'd had to do a ton of running around downtown and we needed to get Anneka home to feed her (there's really no place to feed her downtown), and the taxi would've saved us 20+ minutes. So, we got in the taxi and the driver went about 6 blocks and his car stopped. He started it and went about one more block and it stopped again... we'd run out of gas! So he left us in the car and we didn't see where he went, but after a few minutes he came back with a water bottle filled with gas and poured it into his gas tank. We're guessing he syphoned it from another car. Then he proceeded to drive to the gas station to fill up and then he took us home. It turned out taking as long or longer than public transportation. The good thing was that I could feed her in the taxi since they don't have carseat laws here.

Today Anneka and I went to our little local store, and one of my favorite ladies was working. It's terrible because I've asked her her name twice before, but it's a name I've never heard and she said her full name, so my brain never grasped what she said... so I need to ask her again. But she was so happy to see us and said she thought we'd never come back. She held Anneka while I sniffed all the different types of deodorant (everything is behind the counter and she brings it to me). In the picture, she's giving me my change. She kept telling Anneka that she was such a little potato. All the store clerks wear uniforms... I think they're really cute.

5 comments:

Sweetest Petula said...

she is a little potato. a little sweet potato.

tell her, her auntie misses her and thinks of her often. Then give her 3 smooches from me. One on the forehead, one on the tip of her nose, and one on her tiny little chin...go ahead...you can do that now...I'll wait.

Anonymous said...

Jami--
you are so great! And if "little potato" means cute and cuddly, then I totally agree! :)

We sure miss you guys! And believe it or not, I almost wish I lived your life. :)

anita

The Boggs Family said...

You guys are such terrific sports about the grueling paperwork process you've been dealing with! You always seem to handle the challenges in life with grace - honestly, in ways that are incredibly admireable and inspiring. Did I mention how stellar your patience is?! To wait in line - with a baby - for hours on end, is a feat! I'm so glad you are getting settled and have had some time with friends there. Our prayers are with you guys; all our love & some big hugs comin' your way from Spokane! ~The Boggs 4

Anonymous said...

Sweet potato came to my mind too...as Auntie Cory
feels the same way. Baba

seattleerin said...

Oh, she does look like a little potato! SOOOO cute.