Sunday, March 30, 2008

Babushkas and Babies


At church today, Baba Ira swiftly stole Anneka from my arms and held her on her lap until she got squiggly. I was thinking about how babas and babies can get away with a lot that other people never could get away with. If a Baba wants to sing a certain song in church, she'll say so in the middle of the service and everyone will accomodate. And if a baba wants to stand up and share something or go to the front to read a poem, she is much entitled. (I like this, by the way) And if a baby pulls on a baba's head covering or pinches her neck with strong hands, it doesn't matter. Babies can just do that. But nobody else would get away with it.

Speaking of church today, Anneka was so noisy! She's been babbling more and more. It's funny because she's not saying any recognizable words, but she talks as though she's a part of the conversation and her inflections sound like they could be a real language. But she was doing this in church, and there's really nowhere to go for a noisy baby. I put her in the baby bjorn and then stuffed her inside of Leif's coat and we went for a little stroll until she fell asleep.

Our language lessons resume this week. It's SO nice because Leif's teacher from last year will come to our aparment two days a week to give me formal teaching. I can learn while Anneka is napping and then on other days have Russians over to learn more conversationally. Leif will also have Alexandra Danielovna as his teacher, but he'll travel to her. We're looking forward to these lessons.

7 comments:

My life in bergen said...

Hi.
am i understanding right, you are mowing from USA to Russia. thats pretty tough, i wish you the best of luck and I'm going to keep an eye on your blog.
I also want to invite you to visit my blog, there is so few visitors from Russia and it would be nice if you came and read/look.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so jealous! I want to be the Baba having
little Anneka's hands pulling at my scarf! I am looking forward to going to your church and getting to call
out what I want to sing...

Anonymous said...

That is so cute and neat how women and age are respected in Russia. Hugs, Elaine

Anonymous said...

Anneka, If I had a scarf you could pull it! GP You can teach your parents their third language. You look so healthy and strong. I would love to play with you !!!

Brennan and Karina said...

Jami,
I feel like so many of your comments have come straight out of my mouth!! Paperwork with no end... strangers smiling and staring... and babas and babies~ It is such an interesting, exciting, and challenging experience having a baby on the mission field! It seems like you are all doing so well. Blessings!! Karina and Brennan and Ike

Darcy said...

Love reading your blog! Anneka is so precious.
Darcy McMurray
McMurraymania.blogspot.com

Misty and Matt said...

Hey you guys! Love the blog..your little Anneka is adorable. Our girls are close in age- Kylie was born in Sept. Thanks for the update- got your letter in the mail this week. We're praying for you!