Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Many, Many Sleeping Bags

We've been washing sleeping bags for camp over the past few days. Our washing machine holds one at a time, and when the water drains into the bathtub, it is black and leaves behind streaks of dirt. It is a very good thing these bags are being washed!! Today the weather is nice, so the sleeping bags are drying pretty quickly. All of our clothes have to be hung to dry, as there are no machine dryers here. On Sunday night, I hung a bunch of sleeping bags outside and then it started to rain! So, on Monday, our house was filled with open wet sleeping bags strewn about everywhere (over doorways, chairs, clothes racks. etc.) Right now the last one is in the washer... hooray!!

Today I got together with a girl who is studing economics at the university. We walked around for a long time, talking. (It's such a beautiful day!!) At one point she came right out and asked me if I was a Christian. I said "yes" and asked her if she was. "Not yet", she replied. She then explained that she's caught between two different cultures and two different religions. She's trying to sort them out. I loved her answer "not yet" and look forward to talking with her more in the future.

On the crowded bus today, a man looked at my belly and got up to let me have his seat. I thought that was so nice. People are really respectful to moms here. Often moms with little kids get to cut in lines that normally people push and shove to be at the front of.

Later on, I bought some fruit (nectarines, plums, and apricots!!) and an older lady behind me wanted to know where I was from. She said that she'd read in books that Americans are fat and ugly... but then she looked at me and said that I'm okay. So funny.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are better than okay! You are beautiful!!

But what a funny perception of Americans she has...