
We have the privelege this week and next of having Ron and Gretchen Bruno visiting us. They're from our home church in Spokane. It's been really nice having them here, speaking in English, sharing things on our heart, and feeling connected with home. Today Gretchen helped me at the market to buy some ribs and a whole chicken. She's going to teach me different simple recipes to make with the ingredients we can find here. It's sooo helpful, because I find that we get stuck in a rut of what we eat: tacos, tuna melts, spaghetti and pasta dishes, beef stroganoff, etc... but I love learning how to make new (and easy) things. The Brunos were missionaries in Guatemala years ago, so they are familiar with a lot of what our lives are like. Today we introduced Ron and Gretchen to "KVAS". This beverage comes in big wooden or metal barrels and is very popular here in the summer. Today, Leif and Ron had to stand in line before tasting this treat. Gretchen describes it as tasting like iced tea with molasses. It's definitely an acquired taste.
The second picture is from church on Sunday. I think Baba Ira (in the red scarf) is so cute. =)
2 comments:
Hi!
I first put up this comment on another of your posts not realising that there were later ones... So here we go again:
No, you two don't know me (as far as I know), so you can stop trying to figure out who I am :) I'm a swedish guy, 23 years old, and my name is Anders Solberg.
Two years ago I was in Ulan-Ude on a missions trip with Light for the Peoples. We stayed for a short while in Ulan-Ude and then went on to Novokizjinginsk and Charashibir. Since then I've sometimes had the thought of going back on my mind - I really loved the country, dispite all my prejudices... :) I'm currently studying to be a pastor and I'm quite sure that God is calling me to work here in Sweden, but I'm thinking of coming to Buryatia for like a year or something and maybe help out in the congregation in Novokizjinginsk.
Now, the problem is that I can't speak russian very well - yet. (I know maybe 40 words or something) But I'd like to learn. So I'm wondering if you happen to know if there are any russian courses for beginners in Ulan-Ude? The best would be something like a summer course that I could attend, before spending an academic year in Novokizjinginsk.
I's been pretty difficult to find any information on the internet, but maybe you who are on-site and who I suppose must have had some sort of language training, know where to look?
By the way, your names sound very swedish to me (actually both "Gustafson" and "Leif" - not so much "Jami", sorry ;) Do you have ancestors from Sweden?
I would love to recieve an e-mail (solberg.a@gmail.com) from you if you know anything about language courses in Ulan-Ude.
God bless you both! /Anders
Hi!
Glad you're back from Germany. It was fun catching w/ your life happenings on your blog.
Love, Erin
Post a Comment