Thursday, May 10, 2007

Goats and Embarrasing Moments




The other day in class, I had an embarrasing cultural moment. My teacher asked me if I noticed what was on the trees. "Yes! I exclaimed! Horrible white paint!"... and then I realized that it wasn't at all the paint that she was talking about... she was talking about the little green buds that were beginning to form. I felt badly because 1) it is cultural (and seen as beautiful) to paint the bottom sections of trees white. (it is also "useful" for the trees, as Russians would say), and 2) I really am happy about the buds that are forming. They were just so tiny on that tree that she pointed to, and the paint was so WHITE. Thankfully my teacher is really nice and just laughed with me. The picture above isn't the best and was taken at dusk, but you can get the idea. I also don't understand why most trees have all their branches cut off. Some trees look just like straight poles with white paint at the bottom.


This monument and these goats are in front of our apartment building. The goats are so funny. On of the little kids (goat) came up to Leif when he was taking the picture and nudged his hand. Leif took a picture of him, but he was so close, it was just a picture of goat hair. haha.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so cool (the goats)! Josh wants to get a dog, but I should push for a pet goat!

Anonymous said...

Anders want to know How the goats got there and what do they do? Where do the goats come from?
Where do the goats live? Thats if from the curious mind of Anders Mark!

Renee said...

OH that is funny! Goats and whitely painted trees ;) I got your letter in the mail today. Touched my heart to hear of your ministry and the men stepping up and wanting to grow in Christ. I will pray for them!
My love you both!
Renee

Anonymous said...

Um. So WHY are the tree bottoms painted white? Just to be pretty? They need to watch a little HGTV... :o)lol.