In the Russian language, it is common to congratulate people for lots of things- including the new year. So we congratulate you for 2007! Leif and I spent the weekend in a town that's about a 6 hour ride away. It took more like 8 hours to get there because we were transporting a mattress on the roof and at first it didn't like to stay there. Thankfully, God protected us and other cars from accidents with the flying mattress.
We stayed with a Russian couple (more about that tomorrow) and met some of the people in the church there. We saw huge needs and felt oppression in this town but were also encouraged by how God is at work there. He loves them and wants them to know Him.
Leif was asked to preach again on Sunday... thankfully he was able to use his same sermon from the week before. And all day Sunday was a celebration at the church to bring in the New Year. We ate lots of Russian salads, potatoes, and bread with fish in it (it was on the dessert table, so we were both very surprised when we bit into a chunk of fish!) There were two men (see picture above) who really took a liking to Leif. It was really neat to see the three of them talking together and praying together throughout the weekend. I (Jami) felt like the weekend was really good for my language as well. Shannon's friend Emma is here for two weeks from Ohio and often I was the "translator" for her with Russians. I also felt like I got to know some of the Russians on a deeper level. I was thankful for this.
In Russia, the New Year's celebrating starts just before midnight, while in America it's the opposite. Many people stayed up all night and climbed a mountain at 6:30 in the morning! We, however, got a little sleep and went later on New Years day up a beautiful scenic mountain (see picture above). It was so beautiful. On the way back to town from the mountain, we saw Father Frost on the side of the road!!! We had to stop and get our picture with him... and discovered that he was a she... and very drunk at that. It was another reminder of the emptiness of so many people here. You'll notice that the man who joined into our photo is positioned in a traditional Russian squat. Many men will sit around outside chatting in this position. And, of course, he has his vodka bottle.
This town had many free range cows. The cow in the picture was in search of a little snack.
4 comments:
Congratulations to you "two"
We love the pictures and know you touch many more lives than shown.
Dad
Happy New Year Leif and Jami. I love hearing about your daily lives and the holidays you celebrate! What a beautiful view!
I got to go swing dancing at church for new years at Mars Hill. I send my love!
Opps, I forgot...this is Renee!
Happy New Year to you both! It is so exciting from our end to see you guys in Siberia! We are anxious and scared for our next step. Remeber you are a toddler learning a new language. It is slow and frustrting - you two are in your terrible two's right now - trying to learn and grow. Give your self time we will lift you up daily and look forward to when you can remind us of the patince it takes to learn a new language! Enjoy the beginning of this new year! It will be a year in which you will be used by to do His will.
The Kings
Post a Comment