Thursday, October 31, 2019

His Hands and Feet


Nettie and I, on a morning prayer walk. 
We had to stop and take a picture with the only deciduous tree in the village!


Several weeks ago, Nettie and I went on a prayer walk through our neighborhood, and one of our prayers was that God would help us to be his hands and feet to the people here. It's so neat, because the very next day, God started answering, and almost daily since then (and sometimes more than once a day)  He continues to give opportunities for us to show love to neighbors.

A major plus, is that God is opening doors at times when we are available!  Our schedule is often very busy, but He's had people come at moments when we are free to help.  Here are just a few examples...

Our elderly neighbor needed gas for their stove but didn't have a car.  He asked if I could drive him to the gas station.  It turns out the place that has the special kind of gas he needed was on the exact road (and it's a dirt road with nothing around!) where Anneka has her horse lessons, and it was right at the time when I needed to pick her up.

Another neighbor's well broke and she was home alone with her three small kids.  She desperately needed water and asked if we could come and take their barrel to the local well and fill it.  She wrote at the exact moment that Leif was already gathering ours and Nettie's barrels for our own drinking water!

A different neighbor owns a store and the engine in their car is broken.  They needed help buying products for their store.  Originally she asked me to come when I was busy.  I was prepared to change my plans, but then she called and said that the next morning was actually a better time... and it's when I was free!

Another neighbor was in the hospital with her baby and needed diapers.  She wrote me when I was already in the city and able to easily come to her.

People have been so grateful and amazed that we would help them so readily.  I am so grateful to God for how He shows His love for us, and He also knows what is too much for us.  In His kindness He is making it so that helping others hasn't been a burden but instead a joy and seamlessly works into our days.  I pray that we can shine his Light here.



     One of Anneka's new friends from the summer was in the hospital with pneumonia.  We visited her a couple of times and brought her home on the day she was released.  Her family doesn't have running water, so it was nice for her to come over to do laundry and take a shower after a couple of weeks of being in the hot hospital!

There are many more stories, and of course, I'm not taking pictures when we are doing these things.  But I want to write this as a reminder of how good God is in showing His care for others and for us at the same time.


1 comment:

Irene Gustafson said...

So fun to hear these great stories of how God is working through you folks. Hugs and prayers, Mama Irene