Monday, March 25, 2019

A Bunch of Different Things That Don't Fit Into Any One Category =)....



     Imagine the kids' surprise when they were looking at the ice cream in the freezer section of the store and this pig head was smiling at them from the next freezer over!


     The arts are a very important part of Russian culture, and we feel blessed to get to enjoy some things here that we wouldn't be able to afford in the States.  In February, our friends told us that there were tickets to the Nutcracker ballet for 100 rubles a person (which is about $1.50).  We met up with two families from church and enjoyed the beauty of the dancers and live symphony.



     There are certain garden plants (like peppers and tomatoes) that must be started inside in February in order to give enough time to produce in our short growing season.  Our neighber, Natasha, came over to help us get started.  She soaked the seeds in a special antibiotic that she bought at the pharmacy to kill any germs.  Then we poured boiling water over the soil before we planted the seeds.



     We have a ventilation system in our house that helps prevent mold from forming.  But when the weather starts to get above freezing, water begins dripping out of these pipes (all of the frozen condensation inside of them melts).  This causes water to fall all over the house.  We didn't realize that water was dripping on poor Ike's head in his bed.  He was very sweet about it!  Thankfully the dripping season is over for a few months!!


     Matthew turned 12 and had a very fun party at a trampoline place.  The kids enjoyed jumping together and feasting on a pizza lunch.


Anneka organized her clothes in the drawers under her bed.  


The girls and I made a diaper cake for a neighbor who had a new baby girl.



     We had planned a whole baby shower for her together with another neighbor.  But apparently baby showers are very American, and the new mom didn't know what it was and was too shy to come!  The girls and I ended up going to her place instead, to deliver the diaper cake and a few gifts.  It turned out to be a sweet time with her and we hope to further get to know this family and show them love.



     This flower was on our windowsill and bloomed out of nowhere on the day that I was very worried about Ella with her pneumonia.  I had been praying for Ella a lot, and when I looked over and saw this flower, I knew that it was God's sweet answer that she was in His loving hands.  If he cares for things like flowers, how much greater is His love for Ella!!

Along with spring, comes icicles!!


     In our home group, we talked about how we can better show love and care for one another.  Later that week, the guys helped Sasha to install some much needed doors in their house.



Ike and Leif, cutting wood to stack and dry for next winter.



     Even though Ella had the clear from the doctor to leave home for the first time on Women's Day, the girls and I took a raincheck (for when Ella was feeling stronger) to go out for special cocoa/coffee drinks together at a new place downtown.  I love these sweet girls and time with them!!




     We invited some neighbors, together with Sasha and Yulia, for a barbecue and time together.  We hope to do this more often with various people.



Anneka, with our friends' new baby girl.



     Ike made a friend through his karate class, and invited him over for a play date.  The other mom and I sat and had tea while the boys played, and it was a nice time for us all.


     Leif went on a trek across frozen Lake Baikal with a group of other men.  Ike climbed into his backpack while he was packing.  Some day when he gets bigger, he can go on trips like that with Leif.  =)  It was a really encouraging trip, with a lot of important connections and conversations. 


Ella, and Ike, playing a the pediatrician's office, when we went in for a followup visit.  
   

     The ladies at our church take turns cleaning it each week to get it ready for the Sunday service.  Most people do it in pairs.  Martina and I clean it together and our kids help with things like shaking rugs (and then they play outside).  =)



Fun with Friends


     Our English Club continues to thrive and we've had several new people come.  We start with some sort of ice breaker game before breaking into disussion groups.  This week we played "Never have I ever..." It was really funny what people came up with.






2 comments:

This Is The Day said...

Great pictures! I love the flower blooming reminder. :) Poor Ike with the water dripping on his bed! I guess now you'll know where all the drips will be coming. Haha.

Irene Gustafson said...

What a great group of pictures and stories to encourage us. and you. ❤️❤️❤️Mama Irene