Tuesday, October 11, 2016

The Beginning of School



     September 1st marks the first day of Russian schools, no matter the day of the week.  This year none of our kids are in Russian kindergarten, but Ella and Ike are in a special program for young kids at the school of arts.  We met outside with other parents and students for a welcome-to-school celebration.
     There was singing and dancing and special skits for the incoming students to enjoy.  On this day, Anneka still thought that she may be in the drama program again for this school year.  But later she decided it was just too much and chose art and piano lessons for her extracurriculars.  The program for Ella and Ike is a perfect introduction for young kids to dancing, music, art, and public speaking. 
 
     This was the first day of fall on the calendar, but the weather was wonderfully still summer-like!  We knew that it was likely the very last summer day (and it was!), so we took advantage of it by making a trip to the ethnographic museum in the afternoon.  The kids enjoyed feeding the goats.  Leif used that time to give Ken Guenther (visiting from another Eurasia country) a tour of the datsan (Buddhist temple).


     Then we met up with Ken and Bertha and our team for a pozie dinner.  There were many kids out and about in their new school uniforms and braided hair.  It's a very festive day!


     Then on September 6th, our girls started school with the Blakers.  Ella has been so excited to start 1st grade!  I took the girls shopping for outfits for their first day at a new local kids consignment store (the first time I've seen one here!) and they picked out these dresses.  Ella was certain that a dress with lots of sparkles would be perfect.  And it was.  =)

     We're so grateful for the Blakers and the ways they invest in our kids.  Both of our girls are learning so much and having fun in the process.



     That evening Ella and Ike started their classes at the school of arts.  Ike was very hesitant to go, but both kids had huge smiles at the end.  I've heard them both singing songs from school at home, and I think it's helping them with their Russian.  Ella is happy that she made a new friend in her class.  It's so nice because Ella and Ike are in different classes, but they go the same evenings of the week.  The head teacher helped to make this work for us by putting Ike in a group with 5 year old boys and girls (even though he's still 4).  It's been working out well!

     Anneka and I take advantage of this time to be together, talking and playing games.  I always love one-on-one time with each of my kids.  This is really special time that both Anneka and I cherish!  =)






1 comment:

This Is The Day said...

Love these pictures! Anneka looks so beautiful and grown up! And I love both of the dresses they chose! If/when you move to the village will you have to homeschool them yourself?