
The past few weeks have been very busy for Anneka with rehearsals for a play every day! She had six performances from December 23-25 (with 3 performances on Christmas). She was a smurf and had the most lines out of the smurfs. I have to say that I was rather stressed about this because I couldn't help her with her lines the same way that I could if she were memorizing them in English. I didn't want her learning lines with a funny accent!
One night a few weeks ago I had a dream that Leif and I gave Anneka permission to get married. After she said her vows, I thought, "oh no! She's not ready for this." And then I preceded to think of every way possible that I could try and prepare her for marriage. When I woke up, I realized that this is how I was feeling about Anneka's theatre class. She was already enrolled and was already casted in the play. There was nothing we could do, and I was worried that it was too much for her.
So we did the best thing that we could do. We sat down as a family and prayed together about it. We prayed for Anneka to have peace and joy in the process and we prayed for her to supernaturally learn her lines and to know her dance moves, etc. That afternoon I sat down with Anneka and within an hour she knew all of her lines! We knew that it was the Lord answering our prayers and we thanked him for it!! Then the day before her first performance Anneka was near tears because she didn't understand what she was supposed to do for a fight scene. Again we prayed together. That evening instead of having a dress rehearsal, the teacher spent the whole time with them going over just that one scene. Again, we thanked God for His provision! I think it was a faith building time for all of us and a reminder that God is ever present- in big things and little things. We can always come to Him, and he hears us!

Needless to say, Anneka did great! And she had a lot of fun, too. Even though it was a tiring few weeks, she said, "I love this!" and has had such a rich experience through preparing for and performing in this play.
The play was a modern version of Snow White.
The prince was turned into an Angry Bird until the spell was broken by Snow White's kiss.
At the end of the performance, the girls in these dresses came out and danced with the little kids in the audience. Anneka was so excited for Ella and Ike to be able to do this. Ike was dressed as Batman, and Ella as a princess (it's tradition to wear costumes at this time of year to performances).
It's also a tradition around New Years for Grandfather Frost and his granddaughter to come out and play games and give candy to the kids.
After one of her plays, Anneka saw her dear friend from kindergarten. They hugged each other and were so happy to see one another!
Being in the play has also been a way for Anneka to deepen friendships and make new friends.
I thought this story was funny: during an hour break between a performance and rehearsal, Anneka's friends really wanted Anneka to read her English book to them outloud to hear how it sounded. Anneka told them that if they let her use their lipstick she would read them a paragraph. Of course, they happily agreed. She just loved wearing all of the makeup that performers get to wear!
![]() |
| Inka and Anneka, after the show |
..... And here's a picture of Ella and Ike sliding down the 2016 ice sign outside of the theatre. We love how there are so many ice sculptures and slides here in the winter. 2016 is just around the corner!

2 comments:
What a fun time to share with us. Happy for you that the Lord is working in your kids lives.!!
Those costumes and backdrops were amazing! And it was good to hear how stretching this experience was for everyone and yet you saw your faith grow too. I'm sure God will use what you've learned for other new things in the future, in the way he often operates :-)
Post a Comment