Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Chicken Feet


     Carl and John were visiting last week for some important meetings with some of the local leaders to make decisions regarding our partnership together.  Leif was also a part of the meetings, and since we have the office as a great place for everyone to meet, I had the privilege of making dinner for everyone. There is no sarcasm in that sentence... it truly is a privilege.  But often funny things happen when I cook here because it doesn't come naturally for me, and I'm always trying to think of foods that wouldn't be strange or foreign for people here.  So this time, I had found some great Russian spices and had decided to just throw them on a bunch of drumsticks, serve it all with mashed potatoes and wa-lah!  A nice easy meal.  Right?  Well, it would have been, except that the word for foot and leg is the same in Russian, and I had thought I'd bought a bunch of chicken legs (they were wrapped in white bags that I couldn't see through)... and I had in fact, bought a bunch of chicken feet.  FEET!!  They were SO gross.  What is a person to do with dozens of chicken feet?  I have no idea.

     I didn't know about the mixup until RIGHT when it was time to put everything in the oven.  Thankfully, the kids were AWESOME and laughed with me and helped me by setting the table and taking snacks to the people in the meeting.  I scrambled and bought some chicken quarters and everything turned out okay.


     I'm sure everyone was happy that they didn't end up with chicken feet for dinner!  And way more importantly than the food, there was really good communication in the meetings.  We really feel like this is going to help with moving forward in various ministries together with our local church partners.  Thank you for your prayers!



4 comments:

Irene Gustafson said...

Praise God for the good meetings. So funny about the chicken feet! Glad everything turned out Ok. God bless you all, and hugs, Irene

This Is The Day said...

Eww! Well obviously people eat them or they wouldn't be selling them right?? I'm glad you were able to find something else though and not have to serve chicken feet! Glad the meeting went well!

Jim said...

You fry 'em, of course. Some great chicken feet here in Mexico. ;)

Phyllis said...

I'll never forget my daughter's face when she was given a bowl of soup that still had a chicken foot in it! :-) I think they're just for making broth?