Saturday, July 05, 2014

Busy Times



We met in an unheated, plastic-enclosed structure.  Even though most days got warmer in the afternoons, most guys were wearing coats and even hats in the mornings.

     The very next day after our family returned from our trip to Lake Baikal with Asya's family, Leif went back to Baikal with a group of pastors from across Buryatia for a conference on Training National Trainers.  They each had to prepare a short sermon from a passage of scripture.  They were timed and had to answer several questions within their sermon in 5 minutes or less.  Leif chopped and chopped his until it was exactly 5 minutes.  He spoke really fast and got it in just in time.  Everyone clapped!  =)



Closing prayer time at the end of the week.

     In the background you can see the yurts where these guys slept.  When I asked Leif if he was able to get any rest that week, he said it was fairly easy to get to bed at a reasonable hour because it gets dark by 11:00 and there was no elecricity.  The guys were joining hands for a closing prayer time.  The week was filled with good relationship building and growing in skills that these men can pass on to others.
     


     While Leif was gone, the kids and I were busy.  Anneka still had school, and it was rainy several days, so this is always a huge feat to get everyone dressed, fed, out the door, and through the long walk to school.  We also had several guests.  One day a group of moms and kids came (10 in all).  We had originally planned to meet outside, but because of the rain they came over to our place.  I also spent the week helping plan meals with Adriana for our next camp and making a big grocery run for all of the food.  And I did a lot of laundry and prep for camp.  Leif returned Friday night, bringing 3 men home with him.  They were Americans who had led the training time and needed a place to stay before their flight back the next day.  We enjoyed time talking with them.

     Then the next day, I started packing and Leif led the Buryat Partnership.  Then he came home and we loaded up the van and left for Shabur for our hiking trip!  We arrived late that evening.


     The next morning, Leif was asked to preach at this small church.  He slept in the church the night before with a couple of other men.  The kids and I, along with Adriana and her kids slept at a very kind family's home, so Leif had a little extra time that morning to prepare without the distractions that our family can bring!  Leif told me to remind him to try not to have so many things crazy back-to-back in the future!


     After the service, we were all busy preparing for the start of the hike later that afternoon!  At one point, I hadn't seen Ike for anwhile, so I went looking for him.  I found him with his friend, Bogdan, sitting on this car.  They were both munching on cabbage.  Ike just loves Bogdan.  He calls him "My little boy" (even though Bodgan is 4 and Ike is 2!)  =)

1 comment:

Irene Gustafson said...

Dearest Jami, Leif and family,
I continue to pray for you as you have such a busy schedule and also need to leave soon. It's so wonderful that you have been given so many opportunities and that God has taken care of you all during these times. Hugs & Prayers, Grand Mama Irene