Friday, November 08, 2013

To God Be The Glory!


     On October 25th, my beloved Grandpa, Charlie Parsons, went to sleep and woke up in heaven.  My wonderful husband was so supportive to send me out on a plane the very day we heard the news so that I could come and be with family during this time.  I  brought little Ike with me, and his presence has brought joy during a time of sorrow.  I feel so blessed to be here during this very special time.

     My Grandpa told us before he died that he wanted his memorial service to be focused on Jesus and not on himself.  The song "My Tribute" (To God be the glory) was played, and this has been the theme of these entire two weeks.  God has blown us away by His goodness.  My grandpa lived his life well.  He would always quote Proverbs 3:5-6: "Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and lean not on your own understanding.  In all of your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths".  And he lived this verse out.  Jesus touched many people through the life of my grandpa.  Hundreds of people came to his service, and some people made decisions to trust God with their lives on that special day.

These are just a few of the things that I'll treasure from this time:
*sweet times with my grandma and staying a few nights with her, talking and praying
*seeing Ike and my parents interacting and just loving one another
* having the privilege of helping with  things that needed to be done for the memorial service (writing the eulogy and helping to put together a picture board).
* hearing stories of how God changed people's lives as my Grandpa was faithful to share with them
* hearing fun stories about my Grandpa
* time with extended family
* seeing healing in relationships
* marveling at how God  perfectly times things- even Grandpa's death- to bring maximum glory to Himself.

This week I ran some groceries up to my Grandma's room in her Senior Living apartment.  The lady who helps clean once a week was in there, crying.  She just couldn't believe that my Grandpa was gone.  She motioned to all of the cards displayed (already there are well over 100!) and she sobbed as she said, "I've never seen so many cards!  He deserves it.  He was so good.  I am so sad".  She said that my grandparents were like parents to her.  It was amazing to me that this lady, who only knew my grandpa for 4 months (and mostly in passing) was so touched by him and my grandma.  But then I realized that when we live allowing God's spirit to flow through us, God produces much fruit!  And everyone who trusts in Jesus has full access to His Spirit!  What a gift to have my Grandpa as an example of someone who lived out of the love and power of God's spirit.  I pray that my life, too, will bring God such glory!  I fly back to Russia this morning with my busy little guy.  I'm so excited to see and hug Leif, Anneka, and Ella again!    I'll close with a few pictures from this time here in the States:








And a picture that my family sent to me.  I think Leif and the girls got along just fine!...


3 comments:

Anna said...

Looks like they had a grand time while you were away. :-D

Anonymous said...

To God be the Glory! I am amazed at the many answers to prayer and so many blessings. As you know I wrote thoughts down, put since you said it so beautifully and with pictures, I am going to share this blog with friends. So so thankful for this precious time with you and Ike...lots and lots of love! Baba

This Is The Day said...

What great pictures! I am so sorry for the loss of such an important man but so happy that you were able to come and be with the your family and celebrate his life. What a testimony!