Saturday, January 19, 2013

Anneka's New Year Program


     I was waiting to post this blog until we got Anneka's New Year's pictures back from school.  But I decided that I can just post that later.  As New Years is the biggest holiday in Russia, all of the preschools, kindergartens, and schools have special programs called yolkas.  The kids dress in special dresses and costumes and sing and dance.  Anneka's class practiced for weeks, even cutting out other subjects to go to music extra times each week.  I was SO thankful that Anneka's yolka wasn't on December 25th (as often this is the case).  The timing worked out perfectly into our little family's schedule.  Above is Leif with the three kids on the COLD walk to the yolka. 




     Our friend, Yulia, came over beforehand to fix Anneka's hair.   A few days before the yolka we were told that Anneka needed a fish costume.  Then we were told she just needed a green dress.  Then we were told any pretty dress would do.  We found out later that the music teacher felt that Anneka wasn't ready yet for the fish part, as the other girls had had extra afternoon practices (while Anneka wasn't at school).  This was devastating for Anneka- the first time she's been truly sad since starting preschool.  She came home in tears when she found out she wouldn't be a fish (and it turns out they looked like pretty mermaids).  The music teacher said that if Anneka can come to extra practices before Women's Day that she can have a special part in that program.  We'll have to see if that's realistic or not for our lives!


     
     It was hard to get good pictures with the dark room and all of the heads in front of us... and the swarm of kids!  But here, Anneka had a special part of a game where the kids balanced eggs on spoons.  She also did another game where she had to shovel a white ball (snow) around the room.  She did great, and she had a fun time, even though she didn't get to be a mermaid.  


     Ike got into the theme of the party and wore his new lion costume from Gramma Irene.  He wasn't so sure about Grandfather Frost, however.  (We think "he" was a "she")


     Grandfather Frost and his granddaughter, Snow Girl, are a part of every yolka.  Anneka thought Snow Girl was so pretty and wanted her picture with her afterwards.



     And we decided to get Ella and me in there, too.  It would be perfect if Leif were in it (he was taking the picture).


     And then on the way back, the girls looked like this.  They were tired and cold and crabby, and I was SO thankful for the sled so that we could just pull them along and kind of ignore the rantings. 


     When we got home, we were pleasantly greeted by Inka- this helped to take away the tears.  AND Anneka got a huge bag full of candy.  We have SO MUCH candy right now.  The kids got bags at our church play, and bags from the church play at the second church, and our neighbors brought a bag for each of them when they came for dinner.  CANDY EVERYWHERE!   We are rationing it.

     I had hoped the yolka would be a good place to connect with other parents.  But it was so crowded and hot and chaotic that it really wasn't.  I've had a few connections with one mom of a boy from Anneka's class.  (and we talked a little at the yolka when we had to take our babies into the hallway).  She has three kids, too!  And she talked to me first the first time we met when I was leaving the school after dropping Anneka off.  Pray for more opportunities to connect with those we are supposed to connect with!

3 comments:

Irene Gustafson said...

What lovely pictures of the Yolka. I'm so glad she was ok with her part after all and that she' learning so many wonderful things. Great pictures. Love you all, Grand Mama Irene

This Is The Day said...

Oh how sad that she didn't get to be a fish, that dress was perfect for it! She still looked cute up there though! Cute picture w/the Frost people. :)

josieO said...

Fun to see the similarities and the differences. Ours are called ootreniks. And I see you had a wee Spiderman. I asked if Dietrich could be Spiderman, and got denied! Everyone had to be a character from a Ukrainian or Russian story. But I agree with the chaos and heat and photo-taking challenges.