Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Sally The Hamster

Picture courtesy of Anneka Gustafson

     We got the girls a hamster for Ella's birthday, as they've been really wanting a pet.  A dog, unfortunately is out of the question, as we live in a small apartment on the seventh floor.  Taking the dog out a few times a day in the winter sounds just plain awful.  And Leif and I are both allergic to cats.  So, a hamster it is!  We all went to the pet store to choose the hamster together.  Immediately, Anneka said, "Please, please, PLEASE can we name her Lacy?  I've always wanted a pet named Lacy".  When Leif and I both said that we'd have to talk about it as a family first, Anneka was near tears, she wanted the name to be Lacy so badly.  



     After we talked about it together, we decided that, yes, our hamster could be named Lacy.  But just 30 minutes later, Anneka asked, "What's our hamster's name again?  Insy?  Sally?"  She couldn't remember!  Both Leif and I liked Sally, so we just started calling her Sally, and Anneka hasn't known the difference.

     So far we only take Sally out to clean her cage, which is once every two weeks.  Sally has already been dropped on the tile floor and squished...and her cage has been dropped a few times, too (unsupervised toddler guests)... so we have to protect her!  Today Leif and I came home after a short date out, and Anneka had convinced the babysitter to feed the hamster bologna, cheese, and a piece of plum.  Hopefully she'll be okay!

2 comments:

Irene Gustafson said...

Oh our dear sweet Anneka. So glad the girls and their friends are enjoying Sally and that she's survived.

This Is The Day said...

That is so funny that she wanted the name so badly and then forgot it. You never know what kids are going to do. :)