Wednesday, October 08, 2008

We're Going to Tuva!!



Yes, that's right! Next week, we get to go to Tuva!! I'm soooooooooooooooooo very excited about this. Tuva is where I lived for a year before Leif and I were married. It is such a unique part of Russia (it truly feels like a different country altogether) and Leif has never been there. This opportunity came up suddenly when an American couple needed someone to help them to get there (someone who speaks both Russian and English). They'll be putting on a conference in Tuva. Anyways, we jumped at the chance to go. And I know I must really really want to go because the thought of 4 1/2 days of travel with a baby and being away from home for 10 or 11 days doesn't seem bad to me at all! The above picture was taken 6 1/2 years ago in Kyzyl (the capital of Tuva) with my teacher, Radmila.



Anneka and I went long underwear shopping for her today. It's very important for Russian children to have long underwear (and, of course, very practical when it's -40 degrees!) It was a bit of a treasure hunt finding long underwear that we liked. The styles here are very different than American styles, and my tastes have yet to adjust. While we were out, I bought Anneka a pair of pajamas, too. They're quite hideous, but she needed some badly and who could resist buying "booby bear" jammies? Haha.

4 comments:

This Is The Day said...

HAHAHA, I laughed out loud when I saw the "booby bear" pajamas and Kariya heard me and started laughing too. :) That is hilarious. Do they have a lot of garments with American writing on them? I love that picture of you, Jami! It definitely captures your love and enthusiasm for life! :)

LAURA said...

Anneka is so beautiful - what a doll baby. Those jammies are something else, booby bear indeed:-) Have a safe trip, we will be praying for health and safety, and some great memories for your little family.

Ashley L. said...

I LOVE the pajamas!!! So funny! I am so happy you get to go to Tuva!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jami,
Anneka is getting so big. I can't believe her first bday is just around the corner. She IS a cutie. Wish I could see her in person and give her hugs and kisses and cheek pinches. I think the jammies are cute. The long underwear don't look so bad either. :) Hope you have a super great time in Tuva. I knew that word was familiar....

Anita