Saturday, October 11, 2008

Potatoes



Something I realized lately is what a big part of life potatoes are for people here. On public transportation, I'll hear people (men and women) on their cell phones, talking about potatoes. Or we'll invite someone over, but they have to plan around planting/picking potatoes. We look out our window and there's often someone sitting there, selling potatoes. Potatoes are just a big part of life.

Anneka and I went outside today to buy potatoes (because we're making mashed potatoes for Canadian Thanksgiving on Monday), but we stopped in our little store first to pick up a few things. In just those few minutes time, the potato guy was gone! So we rode a couple of bus stops up the hill and found a nice lady selling potatoes. In all of the grocery stores right now, they just have little potatoes, so you have to find a private seller for the big ones.

I used to despise peeling potatoes (with all of the dirt and bumps and eyes, etc), but my friend, Erin, sent me two really good peelers and now I like it. Actually, now that I think of it, I think I'm becoming a Russian because I like cutting onions, too. I used to not even like onions at all and now they're one of my favorite foods. I love the way the house smells when I saute them ,and I love to put them on pizza, in quiches, sauces, soups... everything. They're so good. Onions and potatoes. Mmmmmm. The picture above is Anneka "helping" me put away the potatoes when we got home.

Someone asked me if Anneka is always smiling. She's definitely a very happy baby and most of the time has and intent/curious look on her face as she's exploring or she's smiling. But here are a couple of other faces.



I wanted to take a picture of Anneka standing/stepping on her own, but she wanted to play with the camera. And I wouldn't let her. And she was NOT happy.



Leif caught this face the other night. She takes after her papa!!

6 comments:

Leif and Jami Gustafson said...

You know as much as she takes after me, there are definitely moments when I see her mom in her :)!

superstar said...

great week-end

gp said...

jami, so funny about potatoes! i love your writing and everytime i read a post i have this super wish feeling that we lived in the same crazy city and could expierence all these funny and weird things together. miss you!!

who is your superstar friend? HAHAHAH
lov,e gina

A%^&$*dechrkd said...

Congratulations, Anneka!! How exciting!

question - since they're sure a big part of the diet, why do Russians peel their potatoes - the peels are so-o-o-o good.

glad to hear that you've got heat - great pjs -

Blessings!
un-superstar, Martha

Anonymous said...

Hi Jami! What can I say, CUTE baby!!! It is cool to see pics of you guys doing God's work.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, forgot to tell you who I was, Bekah G from Weiser ID